Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6704 PCIe replacement

I am trying to find a PCIe replacement for the NI PCI 6704 to no avail (new computers are not using PCI interface for quite a while now).

The card needs to supply channels with source current output, same as 6704. Unfortunately, all the cards on the market (regardless if it's NI or other brand), they are designed to supply only sink current output.

Is there any option that I am not seeing here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,052 Views)

Hi,

You can try third party PCI to PCIe adapter to continue using PCI 6704 with new computer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(997 Views)

We are looking into this, unfortunately most PCI to PCIe converters are using 32bit chips, which will make the bus drop to 32bit, so some cards might not be read any longer.

Than, there is the question of stability. We are using a PCIe expansion box, and have over 15 cards in the system, if we start dropping cards randomly of the bus because the converter fails, that would be very unfortunate for our simulations.

Do you have any suggestion of a reliable PCI to PCIe converter?

And still, this does not respond the question: is there any PCIe replacement for NI 6704?

I have read in the spec sheet of NI PCIe-6738, in a footnote: "4) Analog output channels are designed for four-quadrant (source and sink) operation", but I am yet to see an example of source current output from that card, or any other for that matter.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(993 Views)

Hi,

Unfortunately, It seems that there is no direct PCIe upgrade or replacement for PCI 6704.However, it is similar to the multifunction I/O card of PCIe.

The four-quardrant operation of PCIe 6738 depends on hardware connection. If positive current flow from DAQ to device then its 1st quardrant which is sourcing and vice versa.

I've never used a PCI to PCIe converter before so I do not know any suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(980 Views)