Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malfunctioning analog output

Hi,

I am using the analog output AO0 of a USB-6351, combined with LabVIEW code, to generate a ramp voltage. Suddenly today the output was able to generate voltages between -0.15V and +0.15V. Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

KR,

Michail

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,281 Views)

EDIT: The analog output is able to generate by default -10V to +10V.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,262 Views)

MichailM,

I had a similar issue with a USB-6251 data acquisition card back in May.  I couldn't output more than 1.4 VDC on the analog output channel 0 but was able to output 0 - +4 VDC on analog output channel 1 (I didn't test negative voltages or above 4 VDC due to the application).  I needed to have the USB-6251 repaired.

You will need to contact National Instruments and create a service request to obtain a RMA repair.

Sandra Wells

Test Engineer

Valcor Engineering Corporation

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,236 Views)

MichailM,

While I was checking out my setup, I checked the outputs using the MAX test panels while no load was attached to the terminal block (a CB-68).

If the full output range is available when checking the terminal block, check your wiring.  The analog output channels can only source 20 mA on the multifunction DAQ cards.

Sandra Wells

Test Engineer

Valcor Engineering Corporation

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,221 Views)

Thank you very much Sandra for your replies. I checked the outputs directly with a multimeter. I used the card, together with LabVIEW to control a DC HV generator though its remote control interface. Most likely some short of unexpected transients coming from the generator stressed way too much the port. Hopefully I will fix it soon.

KR,

Michail

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,218 Views)

MichailM,

Good luck with getting the DAQ card repaired and your setup back in operation.

Your're welcome.  Glad to help.

Sandra

Message 6 of 7
(3,215 Views)

@MichailM wrote:

Thank you very much Sandra for your replies. I checked the outputs directly with a multimeter. I used the card, together with LabVIEW to control a DC HV generator though its remote control interface. Most likely some short of unexpected transients coming from the generator stressed way too much the port. Hopefully I will fix it soon.

KR,

Michail

Numerous high voltage/power power supplies usually recommend the use of optical or galvanic isolation between the remote controlling device (DAQ in your case) and the powers supply remote control inputs. The reason for such is to provide protection to equipment AND personnel. I suggest you refer to the manual of your HV generator for specific guidelines.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 7 of 7
(3,211 Views)