Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M sires obsolescence

Ok I know the X-series is out and I do like the cards, I have used them in some applications.  But it seems like NI  is backing away from having as large of a selection of PCI/PCIe cards and focusing on PXI and RIO systems.  

Currently we build our own RT desktop systems mostly because we can get a system that is four times as powerful as a PXI system for about 1/8th the price (or less)  and with our low volume busness (2 units is a slow year 7 units is an insanely busy year) its hard to justify spendigng money on a PXI.  It takes me about 3 hours to go from a bunch of parts in boxes to a fully functioning RT, I would have to make about 1500 $/hr to make it worth it.  These RT's run for years with very few problems most likely the same failure rate as a PXI. 

Anybody have any idea of the level of support for PCI/PCIe cards will have in the future? Is there another planned series after the X series? Will USB devices be supported in an upcomming version of LVTROS?  Anybody know a good supplier of PCI/PCIe daq cars that can be made to work with LVRTOS? Should I start budeting and begging now to switch to PXI? Or should I start learning RTLinux or QNX?  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,411 Views)

Hello,

NI is committed to continuing our investment in X Series, including PCI Express data acquisition cards. While the PXI platform is also great for data acquisition, we know that PCI Express is very important for many of our customers.  In addition, NI will also continue to support the majority of our existing M Series PCI offering for customers who are using PCI cards in their PCs.

Regards,

Aaron Ortbals

Product Manager, Data Acquisition

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,389 Views)