Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView hangs on continuous digital input acquisition (9421)

I'm having fun wrapping up a new application in LabView, but I'm having an irritating problem. My app spawns four VIs that monitor four DAQ cards continuously. One of these monitors five lines on a digital input port. When this VI runs, the top-level VI hangs. I have done some tests and found that if I don't spawn this monitoring VI in the top-level VI, but rather run it in parallel, it will still hang the top-level VI (no user input is possible, although the indicators being updated by the other three monitors are updated.

When I quit the errant VI, the top-level VI becomes responsive again.

I've tried stripping down this routine to the barest essentials, I've changed the DAQ task from a port read to a line read, I've tried a variety of acquisition types (continuous, single measurement). All give the same result. Removing the polymorphic mxDAQ Read vi resolves the problem, albeit unsatisfactorily.

The card in question is a 9421 DAQ chassis card running over Ethernet. The other cards are 9207 and 9208 AI cards and a 9215 AI card. The main user interaction I'm trying to achieve is a digital out on three DIO cards. LV2011.

I'm not sure how to debug this further. Any insight would be appreciated.

(3,423 Views)

How fast are you running your digital input task?  How many samples are you reading at a time?  My guess is that your read size is too small for your sample rate.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,404 Views)

THanks Mark,

I am reading at a low rate. I've tried 5Hz and 100Hz, reading one second's worth of data at a time (5 or 100 samples). The loops (Producer consumer architecture) show the VI is running at 1Hz, as expected.

I am going to look to see if there are some LV primitives that I can try, in case the problem is with teh polymorphic VI available in the mxDAQ palette. I'll be able to test things aghain tomorrow.

I didn't mention that everything did work for a few housrs yesterday morning, but then broke again.

(3,396 Views)

Hi littlesphaeroid,

The fact that you're seeing this with 4 VIs makes it sound suspiciously like the issue described in this Idea Exchange posting: Make DAQmx calls capable of running more than 4 multithreaded tasks. The comments describe some potential workarounds, like making LabVIEW allocate more threads.

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
Message 4 of 7
(3,393 Views)

This was very helpful. Thank you. I avae some new ideas to persue, such as installing a delay a little under the data aquisition time before the DAQmx Read VI. I can also try combining into one task two of the routines, since both are reading voltages from two separate devices. The other two are current and DIO reads, and AFAIK a task can only handle one kind of data aquisition (crrent/voltage/counter, etc). I'll report on my tests tomorrow!

(3,390 Views)

I applied the simplest of the solutions suggested first, and it worked: by setting a delay before the mxDAQ read VI, the lockup I was experiencing did not occur. TO be safe, for every VI that executes a continuous data acquisition, I set a delay in the loop of 90% of the acquisition time before the read function.  I guess this means that these reads do some sort of continuous polling and thereby occupy a thread. I did not delve into thread issues at all. Thanks for the help, this saved me!

(3,373 Views)

Hi littlesphaeroid,

That's right, waiting in NI-DAQmx's nilvaiu.dll (or any other external DLL) occupies a LabVIEW thread until the function call returns. Whether NI-DAQmx polls or uses a different wait mechanism is controlled by the Read.WaitMode property, but it still does its waiting in a DLL call.

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,354 Views)