Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a delay between reading different modules in a cDAQ-9172?

I have a cDAQ-9172 chassis with 2 modules installed in slots 1 and 2. Slot 1 contains a 9234 and slot 2 contains a 9205. The 9205 module is only reading 1 channel. The fellows running the experiment are complaining that there seems to be a delay between channel readings. They have a timing signal connected to channel 9234 AI3 and a pressure signal connected to the 9205 AI0 and the graph in the software interface is showing a shift that is not present when the two signals are connected to an oscilloscope. The manual for the cDAQ-9172 states a 10 uS delay to allow for settling time for each channel of a scanned module. Aside from that, I can find no reference to any other delays in the system. As the 9205, which is a scanned module, only has one channel, there should be no 10 uS settling time. The 9234 module has 4 simultaneous input channels thus there should be no delay between them. I have connected the same square wave signal to each channel and indeed all of the simultaneous channels on the 9234 are perfectly lined up and show no delay, however, they do lag the lone 9205 signal. Can you please point me to documentation that confirms the inter-module delay amount and also confirms that this is consistent regardles of sample rate. If we can quantify it we can adjust for it in post processing. We just need to know what that delay is and that smapling rate has no bearing. Alternatively, if you have a solution for this problem, or can explain what I am doing wrong, that would be even better!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,136 Views)

What you are seeing is the input delay from the NI 9234.  The delay is a function of the delta-sigma ADC the module uses.  The 9234 manual specs this on page 22 as 38.4/fs + 3.2 us.  fs is the sample rate.

Message 2 of 4
(3,110 Views)

Hi Bill,

The 9234 is a DSA device and has digital filters to remove components above the Nyquist frequency.  The delay you are seeing comes from the filters in the 9234 module that are not present on the 9205.  The behavior is explained in the following KnowledgeBase article:

Why is My Data Delayed When Using DSA Devices?

Regards,
Jim Schwartz
Message 3 of 4
(3,108 Views)

Thank you very much. They have reported that the calculated delay at 51.2KHz sampling rate is precisely what they experienced in the lab. They can now post process their data to adjust for the delay. Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,090 Views)