Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get a controllable (on/off) 5VDC output from the USB-6221 with a high(ish) current?

Hi! I'm using a USB-6221 to control an electromagnet, the basic control coming from the analog BNC output. Though it is also required that I transition the b-field from positive to negative. I was planning on doing this by flipping the direction of the current using a relay and triggering the relay using the USB-6221 as well. The rated coil voltage for my relay is 5VDC and draws close to 100mA of current. From the specification sheet the only output I can find that outputs this much power is the constant +5V output. Is there anyway to control the 5V output? If not is there anyway to get this kind of power (5VDC/100mA) from another output on the USB-6221?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,490 Views)

The usual way is to use a transistor (or an optocoupler) and a free running diode to drive a coil.

If you switch the magnet and want some more cycles also think of a snubber ( R and C in series)  dI/dt in coils will result in high voltages peaks !!

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,466 Views)