cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate arbitrary waveform fro counter

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a problem in generating the waveform as shown in JPG below. Have to generate 2 digital waveform

1. Using counter0 -  digital waveform shall be with 60 pulse (58- valid pulse and 2 empty pulse)

2. Using Freqout - digital waveform should be in sychronize with signal one at 40 pulse signal 2 should become high for next 5 pulse.

I tried generating digital pattern using 2D Boolean array convert to digital waveform. But somehow I couldn't get the expected waveform.

If anyone could help me in this issue.

Thanks in advance

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,654 Views)

Hi Vijay,

What hardware are you using?  The .jpg didn't seem to get attached so I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the following:

"58 valid pulse and 2 empty pulse" 

"in synchronize with signal one at 40 pulse signal 2 should become high for next 5 pulse"

Freq Out doesn't give you too much flexibility, so I don't think you'll be able to do number 2 with Freq Out.  I can offer more advice once you post the timing diagram.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,636 Views)

24026i66B3C6344AABF8FDPlease

This is the signal that I have to generate using Ctr0 and FreqOut.  On every 40th pulse of Signal 1, Signal 2 will go high for next 5 pulse as shown in figure.

Timing shall be decided based on frequency and it will not go beyond 1MHz. Hope this will provide more details about my query.

Thanks

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,622 Views)

Hi Vijay,

Which hardware are you on?  FreqOut is not capable of this type of flexibility, it just generates continuous pulse trains. 

How fast does the signal have to be?  If you're on a board with clocked DO this might be an option.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,587 Views)

Hardware used is NI USB 6259 M series.

Frequency to generate is 1kHz to 10kHz waveform.

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,584 Views)

Hi Vijay,

The 6259 has 32 correlated digital I/O lines.  What I would do is use one of your counters to generate the sample clock, and clock out the desired bit patterns on two of the digital output lines.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,577 Views)

We know to generate from correlated DIO channels but now we used all of Port0 DIO lines for someother task. So we need to use only PFI12 and PFI14. Thats the reason we wanted to generate arbitrary waveform from Counter0 and Freqout lines not with DIO.

Vijay

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,560 Views)

Freq Out isn't capable of generating either of the two waveforms--it can only generate continuous pulse trains.  For that matter, even one of the full M Series counters would be unable to generate your "Signal 1"--you would have to use the 2nd counter to gate the signal.

X Series boards support buffered counter output and so could be used to generate either waveform.  You still can't use Freq Out, but the X Series boards also have 4 full counters so this should be enough resources such that Freq Out isn't necessary.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,530 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vijay@M

Freq Out isn't capable of generating either of the two waveforms--it can only generate continuous pulse trains.  For that matter, even one of the full M Series counters would be unable to generate your "Signal 1"--you would have to use the 2nd counter to gate the signal.

X Series boards support buffered counter output and so could be used to generate either waveform.  You still can't use Freq Out, but the X Series boards also have 4 full counters so this should be enough resources such that Freq Out isn't necessary.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,529 Views)