Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware timed and software timed NI Devices

Hi everyone,

I would like to make a right decision before purchasing a new DAQ.

Could someone, maybe, with "hands on" experience (not just a sales department) tell us which of the following DAQs is a better choice:

C series C9178 or X series USB 6343. Reading the on-line specs not always give all answers. Are they both allow Hardware timed (dynamic) triggering? This is the main criteria for the purchase and your opinion based on previous experience would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for your time in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,004 Views)

Hello eleorka, 

In order to recommend which product would benefit you could we learn a little more about your project or application? 

1. What type of electrical or physical phenomenon are you measuring?

2. What type of sensor are you utilizing to measure this phenomenon?

3. Do your sensors need any signal conditioning?

4. Do you need simultaneous sampling? 

5. How many channels do you need?

6. What sample rates would best suit your project?

As for your main question concerning “Hardware (dynamic) triggering” yes both devices are capable of accepting an external signal via the PFI pins to trigger the acquisition or generation of a task in hardware. Could you elaborate on the “dynamic” aspect of the hardware triggering?  Without knowing more about your purpose in using these Data Acquisition Devices it is hard to give you a recommendation of which device would suit your needs.

Regards,

Izzy O.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,992 Views)

Hello Izzy, thanking you for your reply.

1. Mostly it'll be used for Ai, Ao (analog i/o) and V measurments of various PCB on the Bed of Nails.

2. There will be no sensor measurements (at least at this stage).

3. Signal conditioning maybe required for a small (millivolt range) signals that are taken from Differential inputs.

4. Yes, Simulteneous sampling is handy.

5. More than 4 Ao is preferable, but can live with 4, more than 16 Ai required, 32 or 48 DIOs, 4 counters.

6. Higher Sampling rates are not essential, most of the applications satisfied with 1kHz.

I am bit confused, I was told by the local NI outlet that only C9178 can support Hardware timing. Would appreciate if you could double check.

Most of the posts I've read on this site refer to software timed and hardware timed I/O as being Static and Dynamic accordingly. The first type is also referred as being non-deterministic type

as dependant of the OS and Computer generation you're using.

Thank you for time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,968 Views)

The 6343 supports hardware timing (on 32 DIO lines, 16 Differential or 32 single-ended AI, 4 AO, 4 counters), I can't imagine why anybody would have told you otherwise.  You might want to check out the X Series User Manual and/or the 6343 Specifications.

The 9178 is a bit more flexible since it uses interchangeable modules to provide the I/O.  Many of these modules have built-in conditioning.

The back-ends of both the 9178 and 6343 are very similar (they have the exact same counters for instance).  Both devices support hardware timing and triggering.  You'll have to make a decision based on which device best supports the I/O requirements of your application (form-factor and cost are other variables you will have to consider).

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,945 Views)

John and Izzy,

Many thanks for your time and effort.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,926 Views)