From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual monitors with different aspect ratio

For many projects using LV2012 + WIN PC i use a dual monitor to increase the user interfacearea. The primary monitor on which the application runs is the user interactive one with all menus buttons, sliders and controls. The extended second montior is only used to display items like Gauges, bar graphs, alarms etc. I simply extend the screens with the property node FP.WinBounds [ Top =0; Left =0 ; Right = 2xMonitor width ; Bottom = Monitor height]  . Works fine.

And for that reason i choose both monitors with the same aspect ratio of 1.77. Nowadays this ratio of 16:9 seems to be the only option as the earlier 800 x 600 ratio is almost obsolete.

But now i am stuck with a new problem. The main PC panel is a touch screen and the brand ( Beckhoff ) that we chose has only 800x600 option and thats it. And i find it almsot impossible to source the second monitor with the same 800 x 600 resolution as all new gen monitors come with 1.77 Aspect Ratio. The PC panle has both VGA as well as DVI ports.

Of copurse i can use any monitor with 16:9 ratio and choose the 800 x600 option in it. But that wil lleave a black band on either side of the active image. Looks bad.

So in my setup, without changing the primary PC Panel, is it possible at all to use a second montior with 16:9 ratio and use it fully to display what i want ?

Attaching a image to show the set up.

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,849 Views)

Hi Raghunathan,

why you don't create two separate VIs, and then configure them to be displayed on two monitors?

Message 2 of 3
(4,805 Views)

@stockson wrote:

Hi Raghunathan,

why you don't create two separate VIs, and then configure them to be displayed on two monitors?

Oh yes that seems to be a valid option - though i have visited  the properties page never paid attention to this fact.  Shall check it out.

Thanks

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,796 Views)