Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ alternative

What is a lesser cost alternative for a PCMCIA DAQ than those sold by NI? I
would like to buy their product but frankly I can't affort it.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,120 Views)
Steve

Be sure to take into account the time it will take to program and setup your application. You may be able to find a PCMCIA board that may be cheaper than one from NI, however, the cost may be lost functionality, lower accuracy, less support, and an increase in the amount of time it takes to program the device.

Programming NI devices is very simple and for the vast majority of applications, NI provides examples programs for many programming environments, making getting started easy as opposed to having to program the device using register level programming or having to decode the dll for the device.

As to your question, I do not know of any other companies selling PCMCIA DAQ boards, I've only worked with PCI. When making your decision as to what boar
d to buy, keep in mind, you will have to program the board; with NI boards, that can be opening one of the hundreds of example programs within a few seconds and be collecting and displaying data, with a non-NI board, that may be spending hours trying to figure out how to program the board.

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,120 Views)
I totally agree on Brian's opinion.

But if hardware budget is a problem and you only have simple daq-tasks to do, sometimes low-cost DAQ-devices that communicate via serial, par or USB bus (including LabVIEW drivers) can be an alternative. A simple web-search gives you dozens of those devices.
Be also aware that the price in your part of the world may be surprisingly higher (the price of a low-cost DAQ-device I informed about here in Europe was four times higher then that in the US).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,120 Views)