Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling NI USB-6501 via MATLAB & Data Aquisition Toolbox

Hi,

I'm working on a project in which I need to control a valve from a computer (open/close). Due to my university's lack of a LabView license, I'm attempting to control the control signal using a NI USB-6501 DAQ and MATLAB.

The NI USB-6501 did come with a CD which I believe has NI-DAQmx software that I can install. My university also has a license for DAQ Toolbox.

Should I be able to throw a combination of these together to control my valve? I'm just trying to get some insight before I go trying things. I have very limited experience with LabView/DAQ's, and a few years of basic programming experience with MATLAB.

Thanks for any input!

Zack

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,413 Views)

I was able to see my DAQ using the following MATLAB command:

daq.getDevices

Does anybody have any experience with the coding? I'm trying to generate a 5V output signal. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,360 Views)
Matlab is not an NI product and its not supported here. You should be asking Mathworks about their software.

You can test the functionality of the device in Measurement and Automation Explorer. You should also be able to get the student edition of LabVIEW for free. http://www.ni.com/labviewse/
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,356 Views)

If you need more than the six months, buy the student license at Studica for the whole $20.  Either way, that will come with examples in LabVIEW you can use to skip the frustration of using matlab to get the functionality.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,350 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:

Matlab is not an NI product and its not supported here. You should be asking Mathworks about their software.

You can test the functionality of the device in Measurement and Automation Explorer. You should also be able to get the student edition of LabVIEW for free. http://www.ni.com/labviewse/

@natasftw wrote:

If you need more than the six months, buy the student license at Studica for the whole $20.  Either way, that will come with examples in LabVIEW you can use to skip the frustration of using matlab to get the functionality.

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,323 Views)