Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a CompactDAQ without using LabView?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'd like to buy a CompactDAQ setup and then use the software of my choice, which is not LabView, to create a GUI for the incoming data. Ideally it'd be a situation where I'd download free NI CompactDAQ drivers, and then build my own non-LabView application to parse the data from the drivers. Is this currently possible?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,973 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lavadisco

cDAQ just needs the DAQmx driver.  So as long as you can interface with that, you can use whatever language you want.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(2,953 Views)

Thank you!

I have another couple of questions, perhaps they require another thread but I'll ask anyway:

- Why is the NI-9871 RS422/RS485 module only compatible with CompactRIO and not CompactDAQ?
- Can I treat the cRIO 9053 as a standalone PC, loading the OS and applications of my choice and interfacing to my modules using the DAQmx driver, displaying telemetry using applications programmed in C? The datasheet makes it seem like it only supports NI Linux Real-time.

Generally, what's the best way for me to have an extremely small all-in-one PC, running either Windows or Linux, with NI modules and not have to use a bulky PXI chassis?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,943 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lavadisco

cRIO is a platform based on a RT OS (Linux RT since 2014 time frame) and a FPGA.  That platform is, as far as I am aware, dependent on LabVIEW.  However, there are cDAQ chassis that have controllers built in.  I know Windows is an option, not sure about Linux.  So that is likely the route you will want to go.

As for the 9871, DAQmx does not handle any drivers for the serial ports.  Therefore, no cDAQ.  At least, that's what I have deduced.  Somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(2,936 Views)