cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block access to DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello every one

I am developing a labview application using USB cDAQ 9174 and I would like to block the access to my hardware, so the only way to use the hardware is thru my labview application. Is there any tool or way to protect the hardware?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,368 Views)

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

To the DAQmx driver, your LabVIEW application is no more special than any other usermode application (such as MAX, or a DAQ application written in ANSI C).

There's no way to restrict usage of the device to only your application. The driver will restrict access to resources so that multiple applications cannot use them simultaneously-- for example, if you have one application with a DAQmx task that is using a particular channel, no other application can create a task that uses that same channel while the first is running. There is, however, no way to prevent an application from performing a DAQmx Reset Device call... but then again we can't prevent an 'unauthorized' user from unplugging the cable or removing modules from your USB cDAQ either.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
Message 2 of 5
(3,360 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

What I am trying to do is restrict the use of my hardware, I want the user to HAVE TO use my application in order for the hardware to work. I want the hardware to be "locked" or "protected".

I understand that can not be accomplished directly, but perhaps an alternative way to do it exist?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,345 Views)

What are you trying to prevent?

Are you concerned about someone using a different cDAQ-9174 than the one you expected? You *can* actually do something about that; your application can check the 9174's serial number and make sure it's on a whitelist.

Are you concerned about someone removing the cDAQ-9174 from your system and using it with some other application? If that's a possibility, you should be more concerned about the physical security of the system in general-- perhaps you need to do things like physically coupling the 9174 to your computer via screws, epoxy, or similar. (Don't forget you'll need to do so with the USB cable too.)

A user of your system installing some other application that could also be used to access devices in the cDAQ-9174? You should be more concerned about things like user permissions in Windows (and should consider setting up things like Software Restriction Policies), denying access to mass storage devices and network connections, etc.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,335 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Busu

I am concerned about someone installing a new application in my system and then could use my DAQ for new installed application.
I think that can be prevented setting the permissions in windows.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,322 Views)