Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjust Digital Out (PO) Voltage

How can you alter the Digital Out (PO.x) voltage for the NI 6343 (it is a DAQ)? By default it outputs 5V on high.  I need 3.3V output for my application.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,765 Views)

I recommend getting a buffer that can do the voltage changeover.  Of course, you will need to supply a 5V and 3.3V to power the buffer, but that is the best way to go.

Another method I've seen is use a resistor and a 3.3V zener diode to bring the voltage down.  This likely will cause you to lose bandwidth, so only try this if you are dealing with static digital outputs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(3,745 Views)

Thanks.  Looks like this is not adjustable - possible idea for a future hardware update 😉

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,738 Views)

@jliu317 wrote:

Thanks.  Looks like this is not adjustable - possible idea for a future hardware update 😉

I wouldn't count on it.  Not many DIO cards out there will output different voltage levels.

The other benefit of using a buffer is the extra current.  Most DIO cards cannot put out much current (something like 2.4mA).  Buffers will allow for a lot more.  The buffers I typically use output up to 24mA.  But there are some that will do a lot more current.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,733 Views)