Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

407 controller

Regards,

I am trying to settup an MTS actuator model 243.35 using a the 407 controller to do a displacement controlled test. I am new to Labview and the NI System and would appreciate some guidance or examples to get started configurating the system. I am using Labview 8.6 and a PXI-6251 card with a SCB-68 terminal block.

Bests 

DP

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(6,393 Views)

Hi DP,

I found the product manual for your 407 controller.  Is this correct?

http://civil.eng.buffalo.edu/cie616/4-HOMEWORKS/Homework3/Actuator%20Information/081007-Controller-M...

How do you plan to connect your PXI card and your 407 controller?  Are you are planning to use the user defined digital I/O lines to pass a signal or waveform to your controller?  If so, what type of signal are you trying to send?  The type of signal you are trying to send to your device will determine what kind of examples will work best for you.  If you are trying to use it like a servo motor, PWM examples would be a good place to start.  Here's an example setting up PWM with an M series DAQ card like your 6251:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5043 

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(6,378 Views)

Thank you Sarah for your reply.

I don't understand what you mean by a servo motor.

The way I am trying to set this system is send a command, program, signal analog or  digital such that I can make the actuator displace following displacement history I have already calculated.

The displacement history is resembles the picture below. I understand I will have to past this as a signal from my NI DAQmx system to the 407 controller as a voltage signal. The problem I have is identifying whether this should be an analogue or digital signal and also my other problem is how to get the 407 started to receive the signal. 

I have read the manuals for the 407 controller and it has not been is of much help. I appreciate if any help (from anyone).

Thank you.

DP

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(6,312 Views)

Hi DP,

When I opened the data sheet for this device, the data sheet specified that it is a PIDF Servo Controller, which is why I mentioned it in my previous post.  You mentioned a picture in your last post, but it wasn't posted.  Would you mind reposting it?  If your signal is all high voltage and low voltage (for example 5 V for high and 0 V for low) then you will be sending an digital signal.  Your device has several user defined digital I/O lines.  If you have a connector block for your PXI 6251, you can wire directly from the connector block to the 407 controller.  If you have an analog signal, you will need to use the BNC connectors on the back of your controller.  There is also a serial port on the back which you could use directly with the COM port on your computer.  As far as getting the 407 started to receive the signal, you may have to contact the manufacturer to see if they supply a driver or have a list of serial commands to communicate with the device.  

Sarah Yost
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(6,266 Views)

Hello

I have wrote the routine attached to send an analog signal to 407 controller. I trying to send the signal to the 407 controller through the external program BNC connector.

When trying the software I don't get any signal send or response in the actuator.

How did you solve this problem?

Do I need special hardware?

Please any help is appreciated

Mi software is attached.

David P.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(6,128 Views)

Hi David,

How are you sending the analog signal to your controller?  You mentioned that you are using the external program BNC connector, but what is generating the analog signals that you are wanting to send?  The DAQmx function calls that you use in your program are designed specifically to work with National Instruments DAQ boards and various other National Instruments hardware.  If you are not using a National Instruments card to send the analog signal to your controller this driver will not function properly.

Have you tried using Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) to communicate with your device?  If you have a National Instruments DAQ card or a serial device, from MAX you can run something called a test panel to send basic signals to your device to see if it is functioning properly.  This could be a good tool to see if you are able to communicate with your device properly.  

Please let me know more about the hardware set up that you have and I'll be better able to help you troubleshoot your application.

Sarah Yost
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(6,032 Views)

Try this.

You should be able to Control all the features of the MTS407 with this application.

Regards

C0NN0R

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,884 Views)

I have a similar question or problem I am trying to tackle:

control an MTS actuator via another instrument. (using 407 controller) ACtuator with 2 way servo valve

To make sure I have control of the system I want to first test the system with displacement control.

Using an LVDT to feed back through LabView (DAQ) back in the controller and use that as amplitude for the actuator.Having the actuator follow the displacment of an LVDT by some multiplier. For example the external instrument LVDT, moves 2" by pushing it with your hand and the actuator should be following the LVDT by some multiplier, say by 3 so it would move to 6".

FINAL GOAL: force control and being able to control the force with another instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,715 Views)

Did you ever find a solution or figure out how to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,643 Views)

Hi ISP1,

The pdf that C0NN0R posted stated that you will need to contact MTS for the MTS PC Communications package. I believe this package contains the drivers for communicating with your MTS 407 controller. 

Tunde S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(5,622 Views)