Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voice coil servo drive control using LABVIEW commands

Hi,

I wish to use LABVIEW to give commands to ELMO servo drive( Harmonuca-5/60 a motion contol device) to control a voice coil ( CVC 40 HF 6.5). I am using the RS 232 9-pin port for communication between the PC and the servo drive. I have generated a sinusoidal signal using LABVIEW . I want to use it as a stimuli to the voice coil. Kindly let me know how I can use it to stimulate the voice coil. I have very little experience with LABVIEW and motion control. I am attaching my VI.

ALso, I am using the NI USB 6008/6009 DAQ card.

Regards,

Pawan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,742 Views)

Hi Pawan,

There are two reasons why I don't recommend 6008/9 for this application:

1. 6008/9 use software to update its analog output, and update rate is very slow. Therefore, you can generate only very low frequency sine wave, and the time between sample is not consistence. I know some guys solve this problem by using sound card output instead of 6008/9.

2. I don't know how circuit look like exactly, but actually cuild need a current not voltage drive. Therefore, you need an external circuit to drive a coil, and I don't think 6008/9 analog output can supply current large enough also.

I'd recommend using  analog output with hardware time as shown in http://sine.ni.com/nifn/cds/view/main/p/sn/n14:7562,n24:USB,n3:7691,n7:7590/lang/en/nid/1036/ap/daq/ps/25, but you may still need external circuit to drive current through a coil.

Regards, Kate

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,644 Views)