Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stepper motor controller

I am a labView novice so any advice would be greatly apprecialted.  I am needing to write a VI to to control a stepper motor.  I would like the motor to move to a position selected by the user.  Down the road I would like it to do more but I need to crawl before I walk.  I am using an old Velmex NF90 series stepper motor controller.  I also have a VEXTA stepper motor.  

I have the velmex manual which lists the controller commands but I have having difficulties in how the commands will be implicated into the VI.

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated. I have tried searching or help on the topic but I might of missed something.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,543 Views)

How are you communicating with your motor controller? Are you using the third-party drivers found on our website for the Velmex NF90?

If you're communicating with it through serial, you will want to check on using NI-VISA, the NI software that establishes serial communication.

Ravi A.
National Instruments | Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,519 Views)

@Wee-Bey wrote:

How are you communicating with your motor controller? Are you using the third-party drivers found on our website for the Velmex NF90?

If you're communicating with it through serial, you will want to check on using NI-VISA, the NI software that establishes serial communication.

I have a NI USB 6008 DAQ.  I can't use the old drivers for the NF90 because the version of labview (of the drivers) isn't compatable with the version i'm using.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,512 Views)

this is a basic program i wrote for my stepper control it should work for your needs too

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,501 Views)

@polarmess wrote:

this is a basic program i wrote for my stepper control it should work for your needs too

You have a newer version than I do (10.0.1).  Can you either convert the VI to an older version or post a couple JPEGs?  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,497 Views)

This should work.

Ravi A.
National Instruments | Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,495 Views)

let me know how you get on, lm working on 2d array at the moment so i can control four stepper motor at a time with pulses

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,485 Views)