From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRIO with AMC motor drive

Hi everyone, Im trying to use myRIO to send PWM signal through AMC drive to a DC motor.

I want to use the PWM pin of the motor drive 

http://www.a-m-c.com/download/manual/AMC_DZDrives_InstallManual.pdf

can anyone tell me if it is possible to use this pin to control the motor or should I use RS-485 to comunicate with the motor drive?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,873 Views)

Hi Mosio 79,

I'm not sure about that specific drive but the myRIO is capable of outputting PWM on its digital lines. There's an Express VI that comes with the myRIO toolkit which generates PWM on the PWM pins on the myRIO. I've linked the help here.

PWM Express VI

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373925C-01/myrioreference/myrioref_exp_pwm/

Austin
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,838 Views)

Thank you very mich for your response, 

However, my problem is with the drive and im not sure if i can use that PWM from myRIO to control the motor with that drive.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,835 Views)

Hi Mosio79,

It looks like it will depend on the drive and I can't speak definitively about that, but it looks like the PWM input should go to P1-17 and the Direction will enter P1-19. This is described in the PWM and Direction section (2.6.4) in the document you linked. I'm not sure how you will need to configure the drive, but that should describe the hardware connections at least. It looks like it is possible. If you have any further questions, it would be helpful if you could provide the model of the drive you're using. Thanks!

Austin
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,821 Views)