Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

galvanometer scanner mirror and how to connect it to a DAQ card via BNC

Hi,

So, I have the galvanometer figured out and somewhat the DAQ card figured out. The issue I am having is how to connect the two devices together. I have called Thorlabs before and they gave me a weird approach that I'm not sure it'll work out. 

The approach that I have is taking the three wire present one + the other - and a ground wire. I would wire the + and - accordingly and wire the ground wire to the outer shell (casing) as well. Then activate the ground switch on my DAQ card, instead of having it set at floating. 

I am not sure this would work out though, could someone tell me if this would or would? Or if someone has down this before, how did you get it to work?

More info:

-Using this set up to allow current through the galvanometer driver so that the mirrors can be operated through a computer program, like lab-view or something. 

- We have two DAQ card in lab. One of them is NI BNC-2110 I believe. I am not sure of the other one, it looks similar just bigger and more ports.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,256 Views)

Hi,

Could you post a wiring schematic of what you're trying to do? Check out the link below on wiring considerations for the BNC-2110 on page 5 to ensure the wiring doesn't introduce ground loops or noise.

BNC-2110 Installation Guide

Josh

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,196 Views)

Hi, 

Sorry about the late reply. I don't exactly have a schematic, but i drew  something up real quick to give you an idea. I'll add that to this post. 

I also wanted to mention that the driver has its own power supply, so its not powered by the DAQ card or anything. We will you the DAQ card to run commands to the driver through current and stuff. I believe we will run about 10 ohms through the BNC's or some other measurement of 10 so we don't overload the BNC and DAQ card. 

If you look at the drawing you might get a better understanding of what being attempted at least.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,180 Views)