Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UMI 7774 not responding to certain inputs

Hi

We are using a UMI 7774 board with a PXI 7340 motion controller and a P70530 motor controller, controlled by a labview program. Recently, when we turned the board on, several of the inputs on the board did not respond. The board did not respond to inputs to the inhibit all, forward limit or a digital input on the Digital I/O (these were the only ones we tried), and the encoder did not work. The only LED that turned on on the board was the Viso LED (the V and the disabled and fault LEDs for Axis 2, 3 and 4 should also have been on, and the Axis 1 forward limit and inhibit all LEDs should have turned on in response to Voltage inputs). The motor still ran as normal and responded to inputs from the program. The board functioned normally again after a power cycle.

Does anyone know what could have caused these issues, and how we can avoid experiencing them again in the future?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,558 Views)

Ian,

Is this the first time that you have seen this behavior, or has it happened before? Also, was anything changed in your setup, or environment, prior to the UMI board acting this way?

Larry H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,552 Views)

This is the first time this has happenned. Nothing was changed in our setup.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,544 Views)

Ian,

There are a couple reasons on why this could happen:

• Static build up from the enviroment that your setup is a part of. This can come from general usage or noisy power lines.
  • The way that the power lines are manufactured, there is an occasional defect where if two lines receive a high voltage at the same time, it could cause the Viso LED to trigger.

Both situations are randomized occurrences and the chances of them repeating are highly unlikely. However, if you are able to consistently reproduce this behavior and provide us with a way to reproduce it on our end, we can look into possibly having revisions done.

Since this is a first time occurence, I would suggest testing your UMI 7774 board for possible damage. You can do so with this knowledgebase article: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/92DC8DFC11B7DBCB862577BB006A9CF0?OpenDocument

If you find that your 7774 fails this test procedure, or you are able to consistently reproduce the erratic behavior please contact NI at 1-866-275-6964 to create a service request and have us further help with your problem.

Allow me to reiterate, this behavior isn't out of the ordinary due to the environments that the hardware is used in. I apologize if this causes you any inconveniece.

Larry H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,541 Views)