Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Help for Tensile/Co​mpression Test Setup with Newport linear stage(motor) and SMC 100 motor driver

Hi guys, i am a master student in mechanical engineering, i had never setup any electronic devices before, please help :smileysad:

i am building a single axis compression-tensile test setup, this setup consists of  NI USB-6343 X Series Data Acquisition, transducer techniques load cell(GSO series), transduces tech. signal conditioner(tmo-2), Newport linear stage(motor) and SMC 100 motor driver,

With the ability of this setup, i will drive the linear motor and make compression/tensile loads on loadcell and i will read the loadcell's output values, and also according to these values, i will continue to drive the linear stage or not !

As a summary: i need to control the Newport SMC100(motion driver) via labview , and also i need to comminucate this motion driver with the loadcell's output results via labview,

Do anyone have an "exact example setup" in LabView ? how can i do this with labview? from where should i start? What should i do? Any suggestions?

I have only 20 days to do this :smileysad:

Sincerely,

Best Regards..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,495 Views)

You are trying to complete a force feedback application in a non-deterministic system (Windows) which may or may not work well depending on your control timing requirements. 

You will need to use the DAQmx driver to acquire signals from your X Series device continuously at a set sample rate. See the LabVIEW example finder for a ready made example of how to do this.

The values you read will have to be compared to your desired setpoint like you mentioned.

The output of this comparison should be used to control the movement of the actuator. The actuator you are using looks like it has a LabVIEW driver.

You can set up the motion of the system in a few different ways. One way (probably better with a windows system)

1. perform a small incremental move with the stage
  2. measure the load and compare to desired value
  3. perform another small incremental move, or hold current position depending on the feedback

Another way:

1. perform a slow continuous move while continuously monitoring your feedback signal (loadcell)
  2. When the loadcell reaches a certain value, stop the move and hold current position

The recommended way to do this as accurately and with as much flexibilty as possible would be with a deterministic real-time system where you are using the load cell as the primary feedback device to the motion control system. This is called a force feedback application. With this type of setup, you can actually define your setpoint in terms of force instead of position. This lets you do things like define a force profile to follow, and other more advanced concepts. All your sampling rates are higher, and the system must be deterministic to properly maintain a stable motion torque control loop.

My recommendation would be to start with the DAQmx example, add in the comparison code, and then add in the commands to the actuator based on your logic. 

Good Luck!

~Nate

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,491 Views)