From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use LabVIEW to move two Physik Instrumente (PI) linear translation stages controlled by C-863 DC controllers (via USB) to perform a pattern

Hello,

I have two Physik Instrumente (PI) linear translation stages (please see picture1 attached) L-509.20DG10 (used here for horizontal motion) and L-511.60DG10 (for vertical motion) that are controlled by two separate mercury C-863 motor controllers via USB. I have two sample VIs from PI: the first one (Mercury_GCS_Sample_Application_1_with_Move) can be used to move the stages one at a time and the second (Mercury_GCS_Sample_Application_2a) reads and reports the position of the stages. I need help to edit them (any or both) so that they are able to trace a small rectangular pattern on my sample (please see picture2). The goal is that as the stages trace this pattern they will stop at say 4mm intervals for a set time period to allow that spot of the sample to be scanned before moving to the next step. I already got help with the camera VI that does the scanning a while ago but I paused with this to finish another project. Please HELP. Thank you.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,119 Views)

If anyone has experience using these instruments or has experience with creating tracing Vi's please help Petmar. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,093 Views)

Thanks for showing concern. I'm hoping some of the expects here will help me out.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,080 Views)

Petmar,

In the Mercury_GCS_Sample_Application_1, inside the case structure, you can set the MOV subVI to move a specific amount of mm. Then you should be able to set a wait time in the General Wait subVI. Then you would sync the timing with the Mercury_GCS_Sample_Application_2a VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,051 Views)

Thank you very much. I'll look into it and get back to you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,038 Views)

Hello WhiteA,

I got help from PI's resident LabVIEW expect yesterday. I'm now fixing a few bugs in the VI and will contact you when I need help. Thanks so much for your help.

Petmar.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,029 Views)

Hi, I'm also trying to control a PI device with LabVIEW, could please let me know how did you make it work? I'm very confused right now cause I can't find the driver for this manufacturer. 

Many thanks,

Christopher

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,893 Views)