From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brushless DC motor using NI 9502

Hello,

I want to use NI 9502 module to control brushless dc motor.

Several questions,

1. In the Datasheet it is recommended to use both NI PS-16 and NI PS-15 power supply's. The first will be used for the motor power, why do i need the second one? the module needs so much power?

2. The datasheet keeps referring to NI AKM brushless motor, though i want to use different brushless motor (Maxon's, in that case), i guess it wouldn't matter. what do i need to make sure before i do the purchase? 

3. I have several motors I want to control. if I want to use 10 motors, I will need to buy 10 NI-9502 modules, 10 Power supply modules, 10 encoder readers (9411) etc.?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,366 Views)

1. The module requires power, and the datasheet actually mentions why we recommend a different power supply. From the datasheet "National Instruments recommends a separate supply from the CompactRIO controller power supply due to possible regeneration from the motor. The NI PS-16 power supply is designed for motor bus power and can address motor regeneration. Refer to Regeneration Consideration Using the NI C Series Drive Modules at zone.ni.com for more information." 

2. The AKM Brushless Servo Motors actually have windings that are optimized for the 9502. You should be able to connect a third party motor as long as you make sure that the input and outputs are similar. Wolfgang_Z goes a bit more in depth here, but you'll just essentially have to do some more homework/checking on the motor before buying.
         https://forums.ni.com/t5/Motion-Control-and-Motor-Drives/NI-9502-HELP/m-p/3358686#M14976

Message 2 of 2
(2,312 Views)