Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert project from LabWindows/CVI to Visual Studio

Hi,
Could someone tell me how difficult it is to convert a Lab/Windows CVI project to MS Visual Studio 2008 C/C++ (with NI Measurement Studio)?
TIA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,882 Views)
Hi nqn,

There are actually two conversion wizards that CVI offers with regards to integrating with Visual C++. You can read about them in the Integrating LabWindows/CVI with Microsoft Visual C++ KnowledgeBase.  The only problem is that we don't have conversion wizards available for Visual Studio 208.  We only have conversion and project wizards available for Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 6.0.  I will say that we are planning on creating wizards for Visual Studio 2008 but this is several releases away. With that said, I would suggest that you submit a product suggestion so we know people are wanting this. 

So for right now, I would suggest using the conversion wizard in Visual Studio 2005 and then just upgrading that project to VS 2008. 

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,877 Views)
Hi Jonathan,
Could you tell me if there is a conversion wizard to convert a LabWindows CVI 8.5 program into a LabView 8.5 VI?
thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,873 Views)
Hi nqn827,

It depends on what you mean by conversion and what type of CVI application you are creating.  If you created a DLL in CVI, then LabVIEW could of course call that as long as you exported the appropriate symbols.  In this case, you would use the Call Library Function Node in LabVIEW.  You could also create an ActiveX server in CVI and then have LabVIEW communicate with that server via the ActiveX methods in LabVIEW. In both these cases, you are not really converting anything from CVI over to LabVIEW but rather just integrating the two. 

The only conversion option we have is the ability to convert a CVI instrument driver over to LabVIEW.  This is discussed in the Conversion of an Instrument Driver from LabWindows/CVI to LabVIEW tutorial.

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,863 Views)

Jonathan,

Thank you very much for the info.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(9,859 Views)

Hi,

I am currently using Visual studio 2019 and my other application is in Labwindows cvi 2015, I want to convert my app to VS 2019, when I try to use the suggestion from docs available, I don't see any option to use in VS 2019, as I understand you have already converted files, would direct me with your followed steps???

Thanks,

Riddhi 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,410 Views)