Did you mean: 

ConnectTo Data Socket Slow unless Server Explorer running in background

Im using:

VB6
Measurement Studio 7.1
FieldPoint 5.0.1
Max 4.2.1

I have a simple button array to change output states:

Private Sub Slot3Bttn_ValueChanged(Index As Integer, ByVal Value As Boolean)
  dim ch as string
  ch = cstr(index)

frmIOTester.CWDataSocket2.ConnectTo  "opc://localhost/National  Instruments.OPCFieldPoint/FP\cFP-RLY-425 @3\Channel "+ch, cwdsWriteAutoUpdate
  frmIOTester.CWDataSocket2.Data.Value = Value

end sub

When I have NI Server Explorer 2.4.1 OPCFieldPoint connected in background,  I can switch between each button channel immediately.  When I disconnect NI Server Explorer OPCFieldPoint in background, I can still switch (ConnectTo) between button channels, but there is about a 300msec delay in connecting.    What is the Server Explorer doing right in connecting that I'm doing wrong in my VB code that it takes longer to connect?  I send the message from DataSocket2.update.status to a label and I see a message of "connecting..." before getting a "connected" message.   With the Server Explorer running in background I never see the "connecting.." message, which further proves my program runs faster with Server Explorer running in background.  I messed around with '?updaterate=", but it didn't make a difference.  Could this be a buffering or polling issue that Server Explorer handles that my VB code isn't handling?

Need Help - Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,658 Views)
Brian Coalson

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,642 Views)