Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Basic.net and 6519

I use to use PC-DIO 24 board ref number 777368-01
I created some smalls application using VB 6.0 and a OCX file called cwdaq.ocx.

Today because the world is changing I try to create the same kind of application using a PCI-6519 board and Visual Basic.net.

I cannot find the similar ocx file to use in VB.net

Somebody can help me saying if I need to buy or not Measurement Studio.

Where can I finf the good ocx file ?

Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,269 Views)
In .NET provided you have everything installed it should show up in the COM References list as

CWDAQControlsLib

I am trying to use it in an application and I am having issues with it crashing....

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,233 Views)

CWUI.OCX works only with the Traditional DAQ driver. It does not work with the DAQmx driver. The PCI-6519 is supported only by the DAQmx driver. It is not supported by the Traditional DAQ driver. Therefore, you must use DAQmx to program this board.

The DAQmx driver includes support for programming both from VB 6.0 and from VB.NET. Support for both of these languages is available without purchase of Measurement Studio. The support for VB 6.0 includes a type library that helps you use the C API DLL from withing VB 6.0, some documentation that explains how you translate C API calls and data types to VB 6.0 type library calls and data types, and a few examples.

The VB.NET support, on the other hand, is much more full featured. It includes a native, object-oriented, .NET class library with full documenation integrated into MSDN help and the Visual Studio environment. The documentation includes function reference as well as concept topics to help you learn how to program the API. The VB.NET support also includes a much larger set of example programs than the VB 6.0 support. Additionally, the .NET class library is able to take advantage of advanced features of the DAQmx driver, such as multithread support and 64-bit integers, that the VB 6.0 support is not (due to limitations in the VB 6.0 language itself).

Beyond the support that ships with the DAQmx driver, Measurement Studio provides user interface controls, analysis libraries, and other tools to help you develop richer DAQmx applications more quickly. The other tools include designers that are hosted inside the Visual Studio .NET 2003 environment. You can use these designers to interactively configure the attributes of your DAQmx tasks (such as measurement type, timing, and triggering) and generate the configuration code that you would otherwise have to write manually. These tools also can generate example code, specific to tasks you have configured, that demonstrate how you use the tasks within your program to read or generate data and display results on a user interface. For more information on Measurement Studio, check out http://www.ni.com/mstudio

In the end, whether you choose to use VB 6.0 or VB.NET is up to you. There is definitely a learning curve associated with moving from VB 6.0 to VB.NET. Microsoft has a lot of resources designed to help you make that change. Measurement Studio and National Instruments provide tools to help you program DAQmx devices in either language, but the support for VB.NET is more complete.

Message 3 of 3
(3,224 Views)