cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET API Wrapper for cDAQ-9181

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I'm currently looking for a .NET Source Code Wrapper API or a standalone library for a NI cDAQ-9181 with a NI 9211 thermocouple module installed. I have tried evaluating the Measurement Studio for .NET 4.0, but unfortunately my deployment situation requires a very minimal footprint for the target application. Basically, limited to practically no additional installation of drivers or extraneous software. A runtime environment might be used if it is lightweight enough.

If anyone has any insight into the matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,300 Views)

In an attempt to be more clear, I'm looking for the possibility of controlling the cDAQ-9181 and NI-9211 via a TCP/IP data stream with generic software commands. Whether those software commands be text based or MODBUS or any other type of protocol does not matter. I realize now this might not be the correct subforum, and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,279 Views)

Hello Fikemox,

Whatever the application is on this case, you want to make sure of include the DAQmx libraries on the header of your code. You also want to make sure of installing proper NI VISA and NI DAQmx components.

Bye

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,209 Views)

Hi, Fikemox

Have you seen the NI .NET Driver Support white paper? http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14434/en/

It should answer some of your questions. For .NET support in NI-DAQmx, you will need to install the driver and select development support for the version of the .NET Framework you are using.

Thanks,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,197 Views)

Hello Daniel,

I have seen the NI .NET Driver Support white paper, as this was where I got the idea that an API wrapper might exist outside the libraries.

To be as general as possible, is there any documentation on how to communicate with cDAQ 9181 by strictly using a TCP/IP stream? This would alleviate the need for drivers and extra .NET libraries. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,177 Views)
To avoid the installation of the driver on your pc, you would probably need a cDAQ chassis with an embedded controller. The driver would be installed on that.

Have you looked at the size of the DAQmx runtime?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,110 Views)

Hello Dennis,

So there is no way to instantiate a simple TCP/IP read and write stream and send string or byte commands to the cDAQ without the driver / .NET libraries / DAQmx runtime installed? Is there no open documentaiton on the commands that are sent to the ethernet devices to read from an analog source?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,088 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fikemox

Hi Firemox-

No, there is no documentation on the protocol used to communicate between the host and cDAQ chassis, and the format and content of those commands often changes between versions of NI-DAQmx (and associated cDAQ firmware).  Your only supported option will be to use NI-DAQmx and the provided .NET APIs.

Tom W
National Instruments
Message 8 of 9
(6,083 Views)

Thank you for clearing that up Tom, I greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,073 Views)