Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to develop in VB.NET without Measurement Studio

I'm considering purchasing a PCI-6220 and developing in Visual Basic .NET. Do I need to get Measurement Studio to do this, or does the board come with the required drivers, and if so, are they reasonably easy to use? Also, I'm comparing this board to an IOTech board that has .NET capability, and I'm wondering if the .NET support is better with National Instruments.

Thanks,

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,874 Views)

Hello

With the Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 or later, you can use NI-DAQmx to create applications using Visual C# and Visual Basic .NET without Measurement Studio. You need Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 for the API documentation to be installed.

The installed documentation contains the NI-DAQmx API overview, measurement tasks and concepts, and function reference. This help is fully integrated into the Visual Studio .NET documentation. To view the NI-DAQmx .NET documentation, go to Start»Programs»National Instruments»NI-DAQ»NI-DAQmx .NET Reference Help. Expand NI Measurement Studio Help»NI Measurement Studio .NET Class Library»Reference to view the function reference. Expand NI Measurement Studio Help»NI Measurement Studio .NET Class Library»Using the Measurement Studio .NET Class Libraries to view conceptual topics for using NI-DAQmx with Visual C# and Visual Basic .NET.

Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,862 Views)

Thanks Bilal. Does it matter if I use the Standard version or the Professional version of VS.NET?

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,840 Views)
Nope, it does not matter. It should work with all versions of Visual Studio 2003 and higher.

Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,823 Views)

Bilal,

Where do I find this documentation and how do I install it?

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,815 Views)

Hi Tim,

The documentation and examples will install with the DAQmx driver. The driver is a free download from the National Instruments website. Here is the link to the download page:

DAQmx 8.0 for Windows 2000/XP

Regards,

Hal L.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,784 Views)

Bilal,

I installed NI-DAQmx, and I can get to Start»Programs»National Instruments»NI-DAQ, but I don't see NI-DAQmx .NET Reference Help. I see things like NI-DAQmx C Reference Help, but not nothing for .NET. When I installed NI-DAQ, I saw an option for installing .NET Framework 1.1 stuff, but I didn't see anything about Visual Studio.NET or Visual Basic.NET., just Visual Basic 6.0.

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,781 Views)

Greetings timothyjb

I should have clearer about this

Make sure you select the .NET feature in the installer feature tree

see snapshot below. my snapshot was taken from the driver CD installer, but the content should be the same as the DAQmx 8.0 installer avialble online.

That should give you everything you need.

Message Edited by bilalD on 01-30-2006 01:36 PM

Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,741 Views)
are you attempting this because
your project has $ constraints ?

Philip Newman
General Dynamics
Electric Boat
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,719 Views)

Mostly, yes. Also, the software I develop will be customized and the data aquisition will be just a part of the overall system, so I don't think I'll have much use for Measurement Studio.

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,713 Views)