Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing .Net Update Problems

I just installed the Measurement Studio 6.0 update for VC++.net on NT 4.0. After the installation all the fonts on the menu bars for Visual Studio and MS Office were converted to bold type. It's not a big problem but it's very annoying that this would happen. Does anybody know how to change the settings.

Also, when I start Visual Studio, a dialog pops up with an error message...

"Measuremnet Studio could not find the Visual C++ .NET VcComponents.dat file for the current user. Please complete the following steps to generate the VcComponents.dat file:

1)Click Tools>>Options
2)Select the Projectd folder
3)Select the VC++ Directories item
4)Click OK
5)Re-start Visual Studio.NET"

I did this several times but the file was not
created.
VC++ seems to be running ok otherwise, but the error message is getting to be a pain.

my nt account has administrative privileges.

Curt
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,065 Views)
I have no idea what would cause the first problem. Are you only seeing the bold fonts in VS.NET and Office or are you seeing it on everything? I didn't see any setting for the menu font in the VS.NET options. I assume that it would get this setting from the system, which can be changed by right-clicking on the desktop to bring up the Display Properties, click on the Appearance tab, and select Menu from the Item menu.

The second problem is because VS.NET does not install a VcComponents.dat file - it is created the first time that is needed. The steps outlined in the dialog should have forced VC.NET to create the VcComponents.dat file. If that didn't work, try creating a new VC++ project with VC.NET (which should force the creation of the VcComponents.dat f
ile) and restarting VS.NET to see if the message has gone away.

Also, I'm curious ... what do you see when you bring up the VC++ Directories list? Do you see the VC.NET include/lib directories? Do you see the Measurement Studio include/lib directories? If you do a search under "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]" (or the equivalent under NT4 - it's been a while since I've used NT4) for VcComponents.dat, do you see anything?

Please post a follow-up response if you're still seeing the message and we can try something else.

- Elton
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,064 Views)
Hi Elton,

1)The font problem is only with Visual Studio and MSOffice apps. I tried changing the fonts from the control panel but that didn't work. Well.. it works with every other application

2)I tried creating a new VC++ Measurment studio project but that still didn't create the data file.

3)I had to manually add all the include and library
directories for measurement studio after the installation, even after I created a new measurement studio project. I searched for the .dat, it's not there.

Curt
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,064 Views)
Elton,

I did manage to find the VCComponents.dat file.
It only showed up when I used the correct case in the
search dialog.. "VC*.dat" ????

Anyway, the files were in
"C:\WinNT\Profiles\'user'\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.0" and VS7.0 was
looking in "C:\WinNT\Profiles\'user'\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.0"

I'm guessing this has something to do with XP.

I copied the files over and the .dat problem went away.
The font thing.. I guess I'll get used it.

Curt
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,065 Views)