Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d plots with measurement studio .net

Are there any plans to offer 3D plotting within measurement studio.net ? I am currently looking to do an intensity plot, and although I realise I can use the active X interop method from http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=232&message.id=4211&query.id=1905#M4211 however I'd like to stick to using native .net controls if possible.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,883 Views)

Paul -

Providing a native intensity graph is on our roadmap. However, if you need one in the short term (next year or so), I recommend that you go with the 3D graph ActiveX control and interop.

We have not yet decided exactly how to deliver such a control, so any feedback you can give us on your requirements would be helpful.

• For a native .NET intensity graph, which of the following would suite your needs - WindowsForms, WebForms, WPF, and/or Silverlight?
  • Are there any particular features that you would need us to include in order for you to be able to use such a control?

David Rohacek
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,879 Views)

For my particular application I need a WinForms (or WPF) surface plot with the user having the ability to change the colour map (possibly a jagged colour map too) and the axes in a similar way to ScatterPlot and Waveform plots currently allow. Another nice to have would be an improved printing output over the current .Net controls. It should also be able to show a legend with the colour map and associated values.

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,876 Views)
Paul -

Thanks for your response; I've noted your requirements for us to consider in our future implementation.

Do you have any specific requests with respect to printing of the current controls?

- David
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,858 Views)

Just that they should be vectors and not bitmaps when printed thus smoothing everything out quite a lot. We currently save the chart as an image and insert that into a word document resulting in an image that's not as smooth as it could be.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,855 Views)
Hi Paul,

I just wanted to add in a few comments to your post about saving the graph as an image.

It is my understanding that what you want to do is save the images in EMF or WMF format. From what I know about the .NET Framework, the .NET Framework does not support this because GDI+ doesn't support creating EMF or WMF files (seem the Remarks section on this MSDN page).

So basically this means that you cannot save images into a vector graphics format in .NET as its a limitation of the .NET Framework.

So the best option for your is to determine what size image you need in your Word document and create an image of that size using ToFile() or ToImage.Save().

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,822 Views)
This is what we already do, It would just be nicer to have better plots (similar to those produced with ComponentOne say, but maybe they don't use GDI+)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,820 Views)
I agree that it would be nice in the .NET Framework supported this feature.  The legacy ComponentWorks controls are ActiveX controls based on GDI. We are looking at different platforms now like WPF to see if we can gain any leverage in those areas.

Best Regards,

Message Edited by Jonathan N on 01-09-2008 12:16 PM
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,818 Views)

Since we have 2016 now I will rise up the question again.

Is there any way to do a real 3D plot (I do not mean intensity Plot) with measurement studio WPF which also can be viewed from different postions (by turning the Axes) ?

(e.g like Oxyplot)

Thanks for help

BR

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,569 Views)