Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smart camera time server problem

Hi imetrology,

There is not a way in VBAI directly to set the time server like was discussed in this thread.  You can set it to a server but not set it directly.  Another option would be to run a LabVIEW step from VBAI.

Adam H
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,709 Views)

Hello Sir,

I just want to know that how to set time on ni 1742 smart camera target ....

i tried a lot of things.. but camera can't syncronize to the time server or host ip to set time...

i also do as per this posted messages...

on max i see that rt module on camera is of 8.5  version and rt module on host pc is of lv 2009,

so could it be create problem....

please help me in this case......

thanks in advance...

mail me on jirav@ospl.in

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,316 Views)

What are the things that you have tried?

Are these links any help:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3908

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9D619C68F7D5F5D86257251007E2491?OpenDocument

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,287 Views)
Hi, I have used both of the link as attached.... As per first link you attached, i run both vi as it should but still i could not update time to system time... every time i reboot system after running above vi my camera time remains same 1/1/1972 5:31 am.. As per second link i have to run rt set time.vi but i couldn't find that vi in my labview 2009. i tried downloading that vi but it's subvi are missing..... please help me.........
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,251 Views)

The second link he posted isn't going to work if you don't have LabVIEW Real-Time (which it doesn't sound like you do).  

The best way to handle the time on your Smart Camera is to specify a time server in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX).  If your Smart Camera is on a network that can access the internet, you can set the time server IP address to on of the public time servers that exist (see NIST Internet Time Servers).  Otherwise you will need to run a time server on a PC on the same network as the Smart Camera.  You can use this KnowledgeBase article to set one up.  If you do this, set the time server IP address in MAX to the IP address of the PC running the time server.

Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,229 Views)

I have the same problem with the time on the smart camera. Though I do not have a time server. I just want to manually set the time. Its a 1742 and i am using VBAI 2010.

Can post a screen shot if necessary.

Help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,038 Views)

I have read many of the posts and I am really wondering why it has been so difficult just to change the time. Why does there have to be so many IMPRACTICAL workarounds. I am running a PC with the runtime so I can view the inspection interface. One of the post suggest that I can run a vi under that to host the time to a vi that I have to install on my camera and call from VBAI.

ALL this to represent data accurately??????? REALLY???? REALLY??

Please build in next release the ability to set system time from "target options".......

If there is something I have missed then PLEASE inform me......There sure has to be an easier way to set the time properly... I am just not seeing it.

Maybe I can setup a PC to host the time serve with that 3rd party application but this is yet just another work around......

Please don't see this post as hostile; just frustrated today. Big hassle just to set a clock........

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,032 Views)

@Tailfire wrote:

I have read many of the posts and I am really wondering why it has been so difficult just to change the time. Why does there have to be so many IMPRACTICAL workarounds. I am running a PC with the runtime so I can view the inspection interface. One of the post suggest that I can run a vi under that to host the time to a vi that I have to install on my camera and call from VBAI.

ALL this to represent data accurately??????? REALLY???? REALLY??

Please build in next release the ability to set system time from "target options".......

If there is something I have missed then PLEASE inform me......There sure has to be an easier way to set the time properly... I am just not seeing it.

Maybe I can setup a PC to host the time serve with that 3rd party application but this is yet just another work around......

Please don't see this post as hostile; just frustrated today. Big hassle just to set a clock........

Hi Tailfire,

The issue is that even if you can set the clock via the Target Options menu, the 172x/174x/176x series smart cameras do not have a real-time clock and so the time is lost when they are rebooted. This is why in general the solution for having the correct time on these smart cameras is to point it to a time server over the network.

Eric

Message 18 of 19
(1,030 Views)

I have sysax ftp running on a pc that is connected to the secondary Ethernet port to gather failed images and system data. I am thinking that I can also host a time server with sysax along with the ftp server. I am going to test this in the next few days although it currently is not as value added as it could be. I am using the file properties of the files that the camera generates and ftp's to the server to actually represent the time. This works for now. Wish I was coming to NI week again this year!!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,021 Views)