From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni smart camera

How do I use the digital I/O of the NI smart camera to activate a reed relay? I am tring to send a 5 volt signal from the smart camera based on the inspection status to a relay but I am not getting any voltage when I drive the isolated output high?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,240 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,214 Views)

Hi Fof,

A quick search returned a collection of very helpful KnowledgeBases on the topic, here are some of the results:

1.       Digital output on Smart Camera

2.       What Power and I/O Accessories are Available With the Smart Camera?

3.       What Power and I/O Accessory Options are Available With the Smart Camera?

Thanks and have a great day.

Esmail Hamdan | Applications Engineering | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,204 Views)

Hi Esmail,

Thanks for your reply, my problem isnt the setting up of the steps in vision builder. My problem is that when I connect the digital output of the camera directly to a pneumatic solenoid, there actually isnt any voltage accross the output terminals to power the solenoid. I have been in contact with an engineer in the UK who tried to help but there was no success, maybe you might have an input into maybe the wiring. Does the output + and - terminals of the digital output connect directly to the solenoid. Thats my understanding of it anyway since the camera is supposed to output a 24V signal.

Thanks for you help,

Fearghal

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,193 Views)

i have te same problem. Have you ever figured it out?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,762 Views)

Hi fof,

How have you wired your relay to the camera?  I ask because you mentioned that you aren't seeing an output voltage.  Since the isolated outputs require the user to provide the power, you might not be wired correctly.  I suggest double checking your wiring against Figure 2-4 (Connecting an Isolated Output to a Sinking External Load) in the Smart Camera manual.  Also, because you are wiring to a relay, it would be a good idea to include a flyback diode across the relay, as per the section in the manual, "Protected Against an Inductive Load".

-Jeff

Message 6 of 6
(2,750 Views)