Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imaq write file 2 execution time increases with number of files in target folder

Using an EVS-1460 RT platform, I am saving files to a folder on d: (compact flash card), and I find that the execution time of the imaq write file 2 VI increases as the number of files in the target folder increases.  The files I am writing are about 10kB in size, and with an empty target folder, it executes in about 16 ms.  However, with a couple dozen files in the folder, it increases to 50ms.  At 800 files, it took over 8000 ms to write a new file into the folder. 

Are there any convenient workarounds?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,786 Views)

Do you happen to know the filesystem that is on the CF card - was it formatted FAT or Reliance?  The Reliance filesystem has a "property" where the access time for a folder increases exponentially with the number of files in the folder/directory; at 2,000 files in a single directory the access time can be on the order of several hours (but it takes days to get to this point).  The FAT filesystem can only handle a set number of files in the root directory of a drive before it gets weird, but in a subdirectory/folder the number of files is unlimited (but the amount of time it takes to move through the allocation table may increase).  

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,783 Views)

The CF card is FAT32, formatted on a Windows 7 PC.  I am working in sub-directories, not the root.  I think that 8 seconds to write a small file in a folder with 800 items is a bit much.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,775 Views)