cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML file for GigE Vision camera

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am working on a design of GigE Vision camera. It should be very simple linescan camera. I implemented the whole required GigE Vision register set, can communicate with the camera in MAX. The problem is that I need to creata this XML file for the camera.There is this XML file here: 

http://www.emva.org/cms/upload/Standards/GenICam_Downloads/SFNC_Reference_Version_2_0_0_Schema_1_1.x...

What should I do with it? My first version of the camera will have 2 funcions: turn it on and turn it off 🙂 I am bit confused, because the xml file template has lots of functions, that I don't really need. Should I delete them? Or leave inside with default values? What does minimal configuration XML file need?

Regards,

Linus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,799 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author linru

Hi Linus,

If you look at the GigE Vision Specification, you'll see that there is a minimal subset of features that must be present for the camera to be considered compliant. Those are all that IMAQdx will require for the camera to work properly. All the other features in the XML file you downloaded are part of the SFNC (Standard Features Naming Convention) that defines names/behavior for common features that are often found on machine vision cameras. Typically cameras implement some subset of those features. You should not leave any features that are not implemented in the XML file as it would just be confusing since they would do nothing.

Eric

Message 2 of 4
(5,785 Views)

Thank you very much! Perhaps I was too concentrated on digging through various documents and missed the important info.

And one more question: how does NI software build the *.icd file? By reading XML file? Or by reading registers in my camera? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,769 Views)

@linru wrote:

Thank you very much! Perhaps I was too concentrated on digging through various documents and missed the important info.

And one more question: how does NI software build the *.icd file? By reading XML file? Or by reading registers in my camera? 

Both. The XML is processed by the GenApi software component which then translates it to register operations. The XML file thus controls what features are visible based both on the XML file as well as the camera registers (features in the XML may be conditionally available based on the <pIsImplemented< tag). Next, the IMAQdx ICD file contains the subset of features in the XML file that are available and are tagged as <Streamable>, meaning they can be saved to a settings file.

Eric

Message 4 of 4
(5,750 Views)