Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vision Builder for Automated Inspection and communication to external programs

I want to use Vision Builder for Automated Inspection in my application to do the vision tasks. However, the vision task

is only a part of the total application. Like for example, the application starts by reading the input of a barcode scanner.

Based on the value of the barcode, the proper program should be loaded in Vision Builder for AI. I was thinking about

using the .NET environment to build the application and call Vision Builder for AI from out of there. Is this possible? If

not, are there other solutions?

Thanks!

Bert Christiaens

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,889 Views)

Hello,

Why don't you use the VBAI API in LabVIEW? So that LabVIEW do the job of selecting the inspection, then load the good inspection in VBAI.

When installing VBAI, check that this option will be installed.

Then you can have a look at the examples in "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Vision Builder AI 2010\Examples\LabVIEW Examples".

Regards

NTA_LabView_certified_Developper.jpg
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,885 Views)

Hi Bert,

Vision Builder includes a Product Selection functionality that allows to automatically change an inspection based on the result of a step. For example, if the interface to the barcode scanner is Serial or TCP, you can use the corresponding step in Vision Builder to read the barcode, and based on the result select the appropriate inspection.

That is if you want to stay within the Vision Builder environment.

If your application is already written in .NET and you need to add Vision to it, then as mentioned in the post above, Vision Builder has a programmatic API that you can call from .NET (example located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Vision Builder AI 2011\API Examples\dotNET Examples

The API allows to programmatically load an inspection, run it and get results, close it, etc. From the information you're providing, it seems like it might be the option that is the most appropriate to your application.

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,882 Views)