From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Many USB Cameras in parallel - Bandwidth problem??

Hello,
I'd like to ask a question as we are starting to develop a new project and I'm not sure about potential system capability.
We need to acquire in parallel from 10 different cameras.
For budget reasons we selected uEye IDS USB camera 2048*1536 pixels, CMOS color.   Gigabit or 1394 cameras, with same resolution, are far too expensive...

We need to get 1 triggered acquisition per second from each camera (over a stopped parts).
It means we will collect 10 * 3 Megapixel images per second.

Each camera has 4MB ram onboard.  We will use a PC based on quadcore unit Dell system, 3 GB Ram and Vista Business OS.  Software will be LBV8.5, with Vision Dev. 8.5.
We have experience with IDS camera controlled by LBV and it works fine, but I don't know about handling 10 cameras in parallel.

Do you have any experience?  Do you see and potential system problem? Do you believe the trasfer rate is possible?

I thank you all very much for any feedback and suggest Smiley Happy
Marco

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,975 Views)

Hi Marco,

normally it's very difficult to make benchmark of an application with USB camera and LabVIEW. In this case it's more difficult because there are many cameras in the same system. I post some links about USB camera and LabVIEW. I hope this will be helpful.

Simone

NI-IMAQ for USB Camera: http://sine.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5030

Cameras Supported by NI Hardware: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AC7801CA6353287F86256FA2000CF525

Can I Acquire from Two USB Cameras Simultaneously with NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras 1.0?: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6985219C76DB128C862571DC005CB1CC

Andrea N.
Principal Applications Engineer - Semiconductor EMEA
National Instruments Italy
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,954 Views)
SImone, thank you for your reply..

My problems are basically two:
1- to understand if I can get a trasfer rate, over USB, of 10x3Megapixel in less than one second
2- to unsderstand if I can get 10 acquisition in parallel.

Looking at your link, it seems USB will not work in parallel, therefore I need to acquire in series..And this is the reply to point 2.   Is it correct?

Can you help on point 1?

Thank you in advance.
Marco
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,940 Views)

Dreamer,

The NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras will probably not work here.  A better idea may be to use the LabVIEW driver that IDS has created for their uEye USB cameras.  While I've never used it, I've seen it working before.

Also, I would assume that IDS would know the features and limitations of their USB cameras and software: both the maximum transfer rate and the maximum number of cameras that can connect in parallel.

Kyle V

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,934 Views)

Hi Kyle V

Excuse me

I have seen this drivers

The uEye USB drivers are worked only with USB cameras uEye.

It is very bad

Best regards

Iskander

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,833 Views)