Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using CVS-1450, 2 Basler camera and Matlab

Hi everyone,

I am using a NI CVS-1450 with 2 Basler Cameras (firewire) to do a vision system for a robot (bin picking), as my master degree final work.

I am working with Matlab, but can't figure out how to see the image from cameras on Matlab. I need that to run a code that take snapshoots whenever I decide (in the code). I mean, I tested Matlab with IP cams (D-link cameras), and there is a comand in Matlab (ipcam) that recognize the cameras and I could create the objects in Matlab and preview what the cameras was seeing. But in my actual scenario, my cams (Basler) are connected to CVS-1450, and CVS is connected in my laptop with a crossover cable (network cable). I am able to see and setup the CVS system through the MAX application, so I know that it is working, but I don't know how to read my system with Matlab, which command I have to use, or what can I do to see the image through Matlab.

Please, if someone can help me, I will be thankfull forever.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,380 Views)

Hello Leandro,

Check those links and see if they can help you:

Hope it helps you. Let me know if you have any other doubt. 

Bye!

Isabelle Orlandi
Engenharia de Aplicações
National Instruments Brasil
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,337 Views)

Thank you for your answer Isabelle.

Unfortunately that links didn't help much, sorry. My problem is that I can't even recognize the CVS in the Image Toolbox. I saw in the Matlab website that the NI Support Package is for frame grabbers cards, and didn't see any mention about CVS support. So, my doubt is about how to recognize my CVS-1454 on Matlab, which code can i use, or I can not work with matlab and CVS-1454 equipment togheter?

I installed the support package for NI frame grabbers on Matlab, but nothing change, I still trying to find out how can I "see" the equipment in Matlab.

See attached some print screens from the NI MAX, Matlab and Image Aquisition Tool.

In the Image Aquisition Tool, it is suposed to show the NI Hardware, but there is none.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,326 Views)

You will not be able to directly use the CVS in Matlab.  If you want to acquire data from the CVS, you will need to use National Instruments software such as NI-MAX and LabVIEW. 

The CVS is designed to be an all-in-one system.  Using NI software, you can create an application that performs image acquisition, image processing, and control.  You can use your laptop to program and test this application, but the code will execute on the CVS, not on the laptop. 

When writing an application for the CVS, you must use the LabVIEW IDE, not Matlab.  However, LabVIEW does have the ability to integrate with existing Matlab code (https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019LbjSAE).  It seems like you will need the Mathscript RT Module since you will be running the code on the CVS. 

Another alternative to think about:

- NI offers a competing solution to Matlab's Image Toolbox called the Vision Development Module.  It is a fully-featured image processing toolkit that works with all of our hardware.  More info can be found here (http://www.ni.com/vision/software/).  You could write your application using this instead, and it would avoid the work of having to integrate with Matlab. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,297 Views)