Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track object in 3-D with two cameras

Hi,

I'm working on this project and I don't know where to start.

The idea is to use two USB cameras to get the location of a ping pong ball, project it and intercept with a kind of robot arm(which we already have).

I can't figure out how to use the VDM to acquire the video from the cameras and locate the ball.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,356 Views)

Hi,

Its one of my postgraduation project. 

henrique.coura wrote:

I can't figure out how to use the VDM to acquire the video from the cameras and locate the ball.

Dont work on videos, use the image and find the location of the ball with particle analysis. Need more information on how you are planning to do it.

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,349 Views)

I don't know if that answers your question, but we were thinking about setting the cameras in perpendicular planes in a way that we get the 3 coordinates of it,

then try to fit that into a mathematical equation to predict it's placement in the plane where the robot would reach.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,347 Views)

henrique.coura wrote

try to fit that into a mathematical equation to predict it's placement in the plane where the robot would reach.

Yes by using projectile motion you can find the future position. Placing of camera also good choice. But as for as my experiance its very huge time consuming project.

Here you can find reference material which i followed.

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,345 Views)

I guess in the end it's a simplified version of the link you posted.

It is supposed to intercept a bouncing ball, or something like that.

The idea is to prove that we can locate an object in space, predict where it is going to be and act upon it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,340 Views)

So i hope you can do well. Post any queries here with the program(vi) so that can help you much better.

Have fun..

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,336 Views)

Thanks in advance for helping, I'm sure I will have a lot of questions.

I just started to play around with the program.

I have managed to get a constant stream of images been read from the camera, and started playing with the machine vision VI's.

I will be reading the IMAQ manual, and the link you sent me.

Is there any other literature you could refer to me that might help me?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,332 Views)

Hi

henrique.coura wrote:

I just started to play around with the program.

I have managed to get a constant stream of images been read from the camera, and started playing with the machine vision VI's.

At first congratulations. Keep it up go ahead.

henrique.coura wrote:

Is there any other literature you could refer to me that might help me?

Yes, am having bunch of IEEE Papers also regarding the same. I can send you by mail if you mention your id.
---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
Message 8 of 9
(3,330 Views)

Hi,

You will need the Vision Acquisition Software to acquire images from the USB cameras.  Then you can use the VDM to process the images and locate the ball.  You download the the Vision Acquisition Software here. 

Regards,

Greg H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,317 Views)