Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software required for image inspection

Hi all, 

I'm new to NI vision inspection and I need some advice. My day to day job is PLC programming and Im looking for cost effective vision inspection solution for machines.

Planned hardware used : 

Normal PC to deploy the runtime.

From quick reading I have picked software required for inspection, can yopu guys tell me if this is all I need.

- NI Vision Builder 

- Vision Acquisition Software (VAS)  for being able to get camer images from GIge or USB camers 

Is that what all need ? 

- Do I have options of sorting data in vision builder ( sorting arrays etc... )

- Can I send all that data to PLC's ?

- As I undertund for each system I will need runtime licenses unless I use NI hardware ? 

TIA 

Bart 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(726 Views)

You can download an eval copy, and poke at it. 

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/electronic-test-instrumentation/application-software-for-electronic-te...

I never really got much use out of vision builder, but that's because I had the full vision development suite at my disposal.  As a result, I can't tell you much about data sorting, but it's communication to PLC was pretty robust.

This becomes a discussion of trouble vs cost.  A standard vision runtime license is $590 (Rats, I should have bought a few when they were $450).  That's if you develop in the standard LabVIEW environment.   If you are deploying a lot of inspections, it's cheaper than deploying a lot of Vision Builder licenses.  For that matter, if you are really into pulling your hair out, you can run multiple inspections with multiple cameras with a single program using a single runtime license.

How complex is your inspection?  Keep in mind that, while software is important, lighting and the optics are also critical.

If you can hold off until mid-October to act, the Boston Vision Show will be a great place to talk to vendors (traditionally including NI).

The Vision Show

Full disclosure: I teach a course in the certified vision professional track, but the trade show is free, and if you are new to vision, will be very educational. Bring some sample parts or images and shop all the booths.  As a side note, I usually hold a "learn from my fail" meetup during the event (I buy the first round and we tell stories about failed jobs, and bad bosses / customers).

Looking forward to what you decide.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(698 Views)