Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Light Effects from image

Hello everybody,

I am designing a quality control and sorting project using a colored camera. The illumination is done using a lighting kit ( red LEDs). so the colored image appears  reddish. I want to display the image somewhere else in the orignal colors so I need to extract the red color (light) from the image. Does anyone have good ideas on the subject? like the use of certain filters or color extraction, etc.... Plz help me out

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,130 Views)

Dear Falcon,

I assume by original image that you mean color image.  I also assume that you are using a color camera.  If the only source of light is the red LED illumination, then you will not be able to create anything other than a reddish color image with your current set up, since the Green and Blue pixels will not have been exposed.  You could extract the red color plane and display the image in black and white.  If you want a color image from the camera, you will need to use a white light source or a mixture of red, green and blue LEDs.

Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
Phone: (512) 416-1099 x101
Email: eastlund@graftek.com
Message 2 of 5
(3,101 Views)

Try extracting the clor planes as suggested and also try posting your image here. We might suggest something more.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,081 Views)

Hi,

I agree with Robert and Muks. Exposing your object to red lighting degrades the Camera for sensing other colours since almost all active filters will be the red ones. White lighting would solve the problem. You may try to adjust the colour in MAX (Bayer filter) as a final step before changing your illumination type. You may read more about Bayer Colour in the below link:

Bayer Encoding for Color Images (NI Developer Zone)

So, by adjusting the colour weights in MAX, you may get a better looking image.

Hope it helps

Waleed El-Badry MSc.,MCPD, ISTQB Certified Tester
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering
Misr University for Science & Technology

View Waleed El-Badry's profile on LinkedIn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,050 Views)

Thanks all for ur help

0 Kudos