Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX firewall problems

Hello.  I am having difficulty using my GiGE camera under Max, because I get the following error: "system did not receive a test packet".  Please see the .jpg image.  Although it doesn't have any problems when I directly use Labview and IMAQdx commands.  I am using MAX 4.6.1, Windows 7 64 bit, and Labview 2009 64 bit.  I don't think it is theproblmem with the packet size since I changed that to 9k in the jumbo packet option in device manager.  Please see the .jpg.  It does seem to work if I turn off the windows firewall.  I would like to keep the firewall up, but just let the problem through, but I don't see it anywhere I can allow it to through the Windows Firewall?  The only option I see is "NI Vision Remote Server", but it is already checked.  Please see the .jpg.  Thank you for any help with this problem.

kbaker 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,292 Views)

Hi kbaker,

You have a few options...

- Use a network adapter supported by the NI High Performance Driver (such as the PCIe-8310 or PCIe-8235). This driver can work while the firewall is enabled.

- Disable the firewall on the specific network interface that the camera will be connected to but leave it enabled for other devices.

Unfortunately you cannot allow simply allow GigE Vision traffic through the Windows firewall to IMAQdx by either application nor port using the options provided by the OS. Since the image data is acquired in the kernel, application filtering does not work. Due to how the GigE Vision protocol works with image transfer, filtering by port does not work either since it is too dynamic. The 1.1 version of the GigE Vision spec added some functionality that should make the protocol more "firewall friendly," but it may still be a bit longer until we see cameras and software supporting this functionality.

Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,289 Views)