Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview File Permission Error

I have one VI in my program that cannot be opened from another computer on the network.  I have LV 8.5.1 installed on my main PC and a laptop.  I store the VIs on the main PC but edit them from both computers.  Only one of many VIs cannot be opened due to the following error:

LabVIEW:  File Permission error.  You do not have the correct permissions for the file.  You do not have permission to read the file 'test.vi'

If I copy the whole structure to my laptop, I can edit it but that defeats the purpose of having all my code in one location.  I have compared all possible settings between this VI and one that opens correctly from the laptop.  All settings are identical as far as I can tell (e.g. Tools>Options..>VI Server: Machine Access).  I have edited and resaved the VI from the main PC, but it still can't be opened.  Hence, the post...

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,948 Views)

Hello,

From the sounds of it, the user account access for your network is what is causing the problem. The account that you are using to read the file from the other computer seems to be set to "read only." You should check the file properties for the file iteself. This can be done by right clicking the file on the host computer and then selecting Properties. In the General tab, there is an attribute called "Read Only." If this is checked, you will receive that error on the other computer. If that does not resolve the problem, you will also need to look at the security tab.For each user, the file security settings can be modified. You will need to select the appropriate user name and then select full control in the dialog box. Hope this helps.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,926 Views)

Zach, Thanks for the reply.  The file is not checked as "Read Only", so that is not the problem.  And I don't have a "Security" tab for this file in the properties pop-up.  Is there some other way to access the security info.  That seems to be the right path.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,910 Views)

Hello,

Here is information on the security tab from microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_sec_tab.mspx?mfr=...

This assumes that you have windows XP Pro. The Home edition does not have the advanced file sharing options by default. If that is the case, you would need to look up how to enable that setting. The fact that you can save the file on the other computer and use it points to a network sharing issue instead of a LabVIEW one.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,900 Views)