Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to run the astro pro camera module in LabVIEW

Astra PRO camera products from Orbbec companyAstra PRO camera products from Orbbec company

△This is the Orbbec company's Astra PRO camera product.

I tried to connect this camera to myRIO and output the video in LabVIEW.

So, I tried to connect myRIO to the camera via VISA.

but...

제목 없음.png

△This code didn't work.

Usually the camera can be launched, but the Astra PRO is a 3D camera.

So I don't know how to make it work.

I have failed to run it on myRIO or PC.

I don't know how to get this camera to work in LabVIEW.

Please help me.

And if there is an example that can be run, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,148 Views)

You are not using NI-VISA but NI-IMAQdx. But it makes no difference. Neither of the two can interface to that camera.

In order for NI-IMAQdx to be able to access a camera, that camera basically needs to support the Genicam standard and your Astra camera does not, which is not surprising for a 3d camera. Instead they seem to use their own proprietary protocol and provide an SDK with precompiled binary drivers for various operating systems/CPU architectures. 
The myRIO is running a Linux based OS on ARM hardware, so you might be lucky and their Linux for ARM SDK might work. Might, because Linux isn’t simply Linux and ARM isn’t just any ARM CPU but you have different Linux distributions and also ARM CPU cores. Their Linux for ARM SDK might be targeting Raspberry PI and similar single board computers which run not only a different Linux system but also are compiled to use the built in FPU unit in those chips, which the myRIO ARM core does not have.

And it won’t be as simple as installing the SDK and use premade LabVIEW VIs. Instead you need to create a whole bunch of VIs that will use the Call Library Node to interface to the libastra_xxxx.so shared library files contained in the lib directory of the SDK. This requires a pretty good understanding of C programming details including a full understanding of the C code examples in the SDK as you will have to redo much of that in LabVIEW VIs.

On Windows it’s the same but you will interface to the *.dll files instead in the Windows SDK. If the developers were smart, their API is the same on both platforms so you might be able to use the same VIs on both, but that’s not something that can be told before starting to do the work of creating those VIs for real.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,117 Views)