From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you compress Video for IMAQ IEEE within LabVIEW

My application requires that I store large amounts of video and this information is strictly within an array of information which is in turn within a cluster of other sets of data.  I am running into a timing issue where I am unable to store large amounts of high resolution video using a buffer style storage system.

A)  Is there any idea with regards to a new storage system to help enhance the storage of video and data.

B) Is there a compression format with which I could use to help shrink the array.

My overall goal is to make these files continuously storing so that I can always store data and video for periods of possibly hours.  Yes I know I am dealing with Gigabytes of information but this is not a problem, as a matter of fact the limitation is my learning how to store the information fast and efficiently.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,420 Views)
Hey VRSINTERN,

If you are wanting to store images to disk, there are multiple options that you have.

A) If you are not worried about the amount of room that you have to store the images, then I would recommend using the AVI format in LabVIEW. AVI is a file type that stores multiple images in a single file. AVI is provided with NI-IMAQ (for 1394 also) or Vision, but if NI-IMAQ is the only software installed, you will only be able to write uncompressed AVIs. If users have Vision installed, you will be able to read and write compressed or uncompressed AVIs. The file extension is .apd.

B) There are a couple types of compression that you can select, lossy or lossless. Basically with lossy, you lose data when you uncompress the data, but lossless you don't lose any of your data. You can read about other formats to write data to disk in the following tutorial called Reading and Writing Image Files. Also, if you decide to use the AVI format, you can use many types of codec's to compress the image data by using the Compression Filter option when you create the AVI file. You can find out which codec's you have available on your machine with the IMAQ AVI Get Filter Names.VI. Again, you must have the Vision software in order to use the compression option on the AVI functions.

There are some AVI examples that ship with the IMAQ driver called Grab and Save to AVI, and Sequence and Save to AVI, but you will have to modify it to use it with the 1394 VI's. These examples will help with the learning curve. There are some other examples that you can find on the NI web site if you just do a search for AVI.

I hope this helps, and at least it is a good starting point. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thanks, and have a great day.

Regards,
DJ L.
Message 2 of 3
(3,353 Views)

How to compress AVI files send it over internet?

Regards,

Parag Ghadge.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,830 Views)