Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic USB Camera

Is there a National Instruments Vision package that would access generic USB cameras?

If not what type of USB cameras does the vision tools support?

I would like to be able to take measurements using edge/contrast detection. I currently have LabView 2012 full dev. I would also like to build exe's for deployment.

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,580 Views)

Yes. 

There are actually 3 types of "vision" softwares from NI

- Vision Development Module (VDM): for image processing. You'll need that for edge detection and stuff, unless you feel comfortable writing all algorithms from scratch.

- Vision Acquisition Software (VAS): for camera interfacing. This has a "runtime" license model, and you will need to purchase those licences per deployment.

- Vision Builder for Automated Inspection: forget about it, not relevant to you.

VAS supports two types of USB cameras. 

USB2: Anything with DirectShow. Rule of thumb: "If it works with Skype, it will work with LabVIEW"

USB3: It fully supports the USB3 Vision standard.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,563 Views)

Look for Vision and Motion functions in the native LabVIEW pallet.

There is also basic snap/grab functionality in NI MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer). So plug in your camera, fire up MAX, and look for your camera in the tree. If snap/grab work, it is highly probable that it will work in the LabVIEW IDE.

EDIT:

b.p,,,- Is the Vision Development Module now called Vision Assistant?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,557 Views)

Hi,

nope. Vision Assistant is a "standalone" utility that is delivered as part of the Vision Development Module. It's meant for prototyping and is more or less a visual interface for ca 50% of the available library functions.

MAX will only show camera functions if Vision Acquisition Software is installed...

BP

Message 4 of 7
(2,544 Views)

Thank you for the great information. This is what I needed to know. I have done several projects interfacing labview with Cognex. I have had great success with this but I haven't used any National Instruments vision software. All of those software package were confusing to me on what I would need for a basic usb camera.

Much appriciated

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,537 Views)

Here's a really great reference for cameras supported by NI software and which driver is needed. 

Cameras Supported by National Instruments : https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P6COSA0

Another helpful resource when it comes to selecting your camera bus and understanding what NI Vision software you may need are these documents. It might be worth spending a bit more (but still pretty cost effective) to get a USB 3.0 Vision compliant camera over a generic camera for the throughput and standardization that you don't get with a generic camera.

Choosing the Right Camera Bus : http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5386/en/

Not to throw all the documentation at you, but the flow chart on this page is helpful for what software licensing you might need. 
Licensing National Instruments Vision Software : http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53417/en/

In general if you plan on using the existing NI Vision VIs in LabVIEW, Vision Development Module contains a license for the drivers and LabVIEW software you need. If you're looking for something outside of LabVIEW, try out the Vision Builder for Automated Inspection software. 

R Dahlman

Message 6 of 7
(2,513 Views)

Great!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,511 Views)