Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Vision vs Industrial Controller

Hi,

I am looking to specify a vision system for a customer and have been having a little difficulty with the naming/description of some of the hardware.

My main problem is the difference between the "Compact Vision System" and the "Industrial Controller", or to be more precise, is there a difference?

From this post it is clear that they are more or less the same hardware, just without the VBAI software included. However it is not clear if the Industrial Controller remains compatible with all the camera standards, such as USB3, GigE, etc. Maybe a better question would be "what does the VBAI software add that makes one a CVS and the other a generic Industrial Controller?"

Can I use the Vision Development Module on both devices? Also on the RT Versions?

Also, is it safe to assume that the Industrial controller can be the "host" to other NI USB devices such as AI/AO type hardware? Can the CVS also do this?

Thanks in advance for the help, I realise that this may be quite a simple issue but at these prices I do not want to make any mistakes when ordering.

Cheers,

Darren.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,634 Views)

Hi Darren,

I haven't worked with NI compact vision system. But I just finish project that involve selecting new camera and interface.

One of the most important issues that is applicable to your case is that not all USB 3.0 ports are same.

friend of mine was trying point gray camera with the USB 3.0 port on the computer and had lots of problems.

After he got interface board with USB 3.0 from point gray all the problems went away.

Under the same logic a Compact RIO system USB 3.0 isn't always tested to work well with cameras.

I recommend to spec hardware that was tested by NI to work with cameras well.

Amit Shachaf
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,599 Views)

Hi Darren,

The post you have mentioned is correct. The CVS is a bundle consisting of an Industrial Controller and a development license of Vision Builder for Automated Inspection (VBAI).

The VBAI will give you an easy way to configure a vision application, thus it can greatly reduce development costs for certain applications:
http://www.ni.com/vision/software/vbai/

You can use the Vision Developement module on both devices also on RT: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/2881

The Windows version of the controllers should support USB A/O, for the RT version you need to be more careful and check from case to case.

I would recommend to get in contact with our local sales representative to check these things in detail. As you said: you are spending a serious amount of money, so it is good to be sure.
If you do not know your local representative check on our homepage for our phone number and give us a call.

Andreas Jost

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Andreas
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,578 Views)

Hi Folks,

Asked the question to NI and they confirm that from a hardware perspective the two devices are the same, although obviously from a spec point of view (processor, memory etc.) they can be different. So basically the industrial controller will support GigE and USB3 Vision cameras, which was my main question/concern.

As Andreas mentioned, the main difference is that the CVS is shipped with the VBAI software and the IC is not. However the Vision Development Module will work on the IC, for both Windows and RT versions.

Personally I view the CVS as a "marketing product", designed to sell to companies that have a lot of money but limited LabVIEW knowledge/resources. Whereas the IC is more for those who program in LabVIEW and want the flexibility.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Darren.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,544 Views)

Personally I don't use these types of device. I prefer the flexibility of a high spec PC, usually encased in some kind of protective cabinet. Depends v. much on what the customer wants I guess and how much expertise you have in configuring a device for vision applications. I also avoid Vision Builder and instead create my own LabView application based around NI Vision. VI creation option within NI Vision is useful although the VIs it generates usually have to be modified (e.g. new connector pattern).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,538 Views)