From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture Scrolling LED Digits

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Community,

I am using Vision Builder AI with a Basler Ace camera.

My control has a 4-digit LED display.

The control starts up displaying "8.8.8.8.", but instead of all 4 digits being on at the same time they are scrolling at a fast frequency to make it seem like all 4 digits are on at the same time. Where the naked eye sees "8.8.8.8." on the display, the camera is only catching one digit "8." (See attachment). Is there a way to catch and test all 4 digits using my camera? For example, can I acquire multiple images and check each image to see if I catch each digit lit up at least once? What would be the best course of action to achieve this goal?

Any help or examples would be greatly appreciated please.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,676 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MechUnit

It seems the easiest way to verify that all the LCD light up is to set an exposure time which is slightly longer than the period at which the LCD displays all 4 digits. The acquire image should then show all digits lit up, and you can have a simpler inspection that processes only one image, instead of trying to acquire multiple images trying to catch all digits. Especially if you don't have a way to synchronize the LCD display with the image acquisition.

Message 2 of 4
(2,655 Views)

And if you can't set the exposure time to such a high value (because the picture saturates), you can capture multiple pictures and either use IMAQ Average, or if you are feeling fancy, IMAQ Compare (and capture the "maximal value").

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,637 Views)

1. I would recommend use Shape detection (I use it in Vision assistant) function to recognize dots. So for you case 8.8.8.8 you will get three X (X1,X2,X3)coordinates for three dots. Keep these coordinates in memory.

2. Skip dots in .abc file or Define digits with dot as digit w/o dot ( 3 or 3. => 3)

3. According any dot X coordinate you know where place dot in number string.

So for example: for 34.56 you read 3456 and X2 coordinate for dot should be after second digit => 34.Shape Deteection1.JPGShape Deteection2.JPGShape Deteection3.JPG56

Message 4 of 4
(1,987 Views)