cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canny edge detection in VBAI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

I need to use the Canny filter in VBAI 2015 f3, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have it. Also Vision Assistant inside Vision Builder seems to be limited and doesn't have that filter. Is there any way to implement Canny into my VBAI code? 

Thanks a lot,

Tomasz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,063 Views)

The only way at this point would be to add the functionality with a Run LabVIEW step. Do you have LabVIEW 2015 and Vision Development Module?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,058 Views)

Hi Christophe,

thanks for swift reply. I do have those, however the VI I created did not work in VBAI. Could you please suggest how it should be done?

Thanks,

Tomasz

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,054 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom4lka

The FAQ tab of the Run LabVIEW step context help will guide you on how to create a LabVIEW project and save the VI for source distribution.

I encourage you to go through it to learn how to do it. This is a good way to add functionality to Vision Builder AI.

For your convenience, I created a small example for you and attached it to the post.

Look for the VBAI example in the build folder.

Hope this helps,

Christophe

Message 4 of 8
(3,035 Views)

Hi Christophe,

this actually works wonderfully. I did not realize earlier that I'm supposed to put the vbai indpection file into the build folder as well. Thank you so much!!!!

Right now I'm struggling with deploying this on Linux RT IC-3120. Do you have any idea what could help? Getting same error as previously on PC.

Tomasz

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,025 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom4lka

The IC-3120 is running LinuxRT 64. The llb must be compiled for the right target. I added the 3120 to the project and created a build distribution for this target. The build llb is located in the folder builds\RT IC-3120 Target\home\lvuser\natinst\vbai\User VIs

Copy this llb to the target at the following location: \home\lvuser\natinst\vbai\User VIs

This is the default location where VBAI will look for Run LabVIEW llbs on RT.

Point to the VBAI Canny Edge Detection.vi with the Run LabVIEW step and it should now work.

Message 6 of 8
(2,988 Views)

Hi Cristophe,

it seems like I was lacking some drivers as the only IC I was able to add to my project was 3110. Thanks to your help right now everything is working fine and I'm able to add custom steps to VBAI. This has opened a whole lot of new possibilities for me and I couldn't thank you enough for that. 

Regards,

Tomasz

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,956 Views)

To be able to save a VI for distribution to use with VBAI 2015f3 on the IC, you would need LabVIEW 2015, LabVIEW Real-Time 2015, Vision Development Module and the Industrial Controller Device Drivers.

Try installing the latest Industrial Controller Device Drivers at the following link:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.industrial-controller-device-drivers.htm...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,919 Views)