Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message broker (e.g., Kafka, RabbitMQ) in LabVIEW for Linux

Is anybody aware of a way to couple LabVIEW for Linux with message brokers like RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, Kafka?
I have seen a package called LabbitMQ but it is only for Windows.

Does you know any implementation that would run in LabVIEW for Linux? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,379 Views)

There is ZeroMQ, which has an LV library also in Linux. I have tested it only on Windows.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,370 Views)

Thanks for your answer. We are using zeroMQ already. It works in Windows and Linux (with slight modification to the source code we found online). However, from the feedback I got from my developers: 

• the library was written 10 years ago and it looks that nobody is improving it. 
  • we need to send several hundreds of thousands of messages per second. With zeroMQ we are able to send a string - but this requires serialization and converting to JSON is slow. 

On the other hand, we migrated some of the code to gRPC. Differently from zeroMQ , it is constantly improved by NI and the community. Protobufs also ensure better performance than what we achieve with zeroMQ.

I was asking about RabbitMQ/Kafka because those tools are designed for asynchronous communication with microservices and high throughput. It would be very useful to couple services made in LabVIEW with those brokers. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,332 Views)

Hello,

Just a thought,I have used Redis to do this very thing. Both in high message system, as well as high data flow system.  Much easier to use than Kafka.

Have used it with NI-Linux-RT, Windows, Ubuntu, RHEL in high Data flow, low latency application. 

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(822 Views)

Hi, yes. We ended up using RabbitMQ and Redis for different purposes. Actually we will soon release in github a wrapper we created around this rabbitmq implementation https://github.com/alanxz/rabbitmq-c . This allows us to use RabbitMQ in LabVIEW for Linux . I'll post the link here.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(815 Views)