Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV-RTE for Linux - Raspberry-Pi

Hi all,

As I can see, in order to install LV RTE under Linux we need to have linux-kernel-source. With this methode, we are normaly kernel independante. Is that correct ? In other way, if I want to install LV RTE under Fedora for ARM, normaly it will work. Is that correct ?

After that, if the previous sentence is "yes", I think we have two solutions for programming and executing:

- Programming under a PC with Fedora/OpenSUSE and execute the code on Raspberry-Pi

- Programming and executing on Raspberry-Pi.

What is your opinion ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(10,678 Views)

No. The LabVIEW RTE is a binary file that is compiled for Linux for x86. There is no way to get that to work for an ARM target  (or even in native x64 mode).it's even worse: the executable that gets created contains the compiled code from the VIs only and that is also compiled to the target architecture (e.g. Linux for x86 on LabVIEW for Linux), so could't run itself on an ARM CPU either.

In oder to do what you want, NI would have to create an RTE for the ARM platform and here all those existing embedded platforms are way different enough that they would have to create a LabVIEW for ARM for Arduino which would not run on any other embedded ARM platform, so ending up to create one for Arduino, one for Raspberry-PI, one for whatever else popular embedded ARM board, then create project integration for all of them into the LabVIEW project management, and last but not least add ARM target support to the integrated LLVM compiler. And all that work for the "ability" to sell LabVIEW to an audience that is VERY unlikely to even consider to pay the normal development license price. Sounds like throwing money out of the window to me.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 8
(6,321 Views)

So, why do we need linux-kernel-source to install it ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,321 Views)

That is not for LabVIEW most likely, but for the device drivers you want to have installed too. LabVIEW without serial, GPIB, DAQ and what else is a nice toy but not much more. I never needed the kernel sources for installing LabVIEW alone.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,321 Views)

Ok. We have to wait a ARM version of LabVIEW. More specificly a ARM 11 version for Raspberry-Pi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,321 Views)

I wouldn't hold my breath for it. While it's technically possible of course, the business sense for NI is not very high. NI still sees and uses LabVIEW as an enabling tool to sell hardware. There is $ 0 of hardware sales in a LabVIEW for Raspberry PI for NI. And there is no real chance of earning even only the additional development costs of such a product from extra LabVIEW licenses alone. So extra costs (and not a little either, as every new platform to support means a very high and ongoing investment in testing, maintenance and support) but little to no extra income.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 8
(6,321 Views)

I already ran labview Windows on RPI3 using QEMU or Exagear, but its not a good solution. There is another alternative using tools of TSXperts. But in my opnion, the better way for the moment is use MyOpenLab.
I'm working on possibility to run Labview RTE on Raspberry Pi 3 with Windows ARMX64 WOA SO. As soon as possible i show how to do it.

Message 7 of 8
(4,313 Views)

What about https://www.tsxperts.com/labviewforraspberrypi/ ? I did not try it, but it looks promising.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,919 Views)